Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pond Glass Problem

Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350762.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	314602
Itís been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
Attachment 314603 Attachment 314604

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350854.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	314605   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350855.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	314606  

Old 12-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That tank is about to blow. Drain it and get a welded corner.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pond Glass Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
That tank is about to blow. Drain it and get a welded corner.
Thanks for the reply, what would a 'welded corner' look like? A photo or diagram would be very helpful.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can research it. Welding metal uses heat to fuse 2 pieces into one.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold12 View Post
Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
Attachment 314602
Itís been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
Attachment 314603 Attachment 314604

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?
Hello, is glass & top rail bowing? If so you may need to add a vertical brace in center of glass panes. Hope this helps!!!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Definitely would get the water level down.

It is so pretty but you do not want to bust it. It the thickness of glass rated for that sized pond. (I know nothing about the specs or how to figure them out, but my 4' aquarium has 12mm glass so I would figure that yours might need to be thicker)

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, pond, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com