pool filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duke33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone tried using a swimming pool filter a 300 gallon fish tank??

Attachments

• facingend_300.jpg
    facingend_300.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 58
What kind of filter? Do you mean running it through sand or cartridges? It's essentially the same idea as a sump filter or a cannister filter. For a large tank like 300 gallons, a pool filter might work.

Awful expensive way to filter a tank. Pool pumps use a lot of electricity, plus the flow rate would be pretty high unless you had a very small pump.

It seeams a pool filter might be extremely large tool for the job. You are talking about a few hundred gallons in water for tank and using a pool filter that filters thousands of gallons of water for a pool. How about a pond filter instead? Pond filters are usually for hundreds of gallons to thousands of gallons of water.

pool filter in ponds

I have been running a pool filter on my pond for 5+years. (10ft wide) The sand quickly clogged in the filter canister when first installed and I replaced with Bio balls, and have not changed or even serviced the filter canister since. The problem that I had to deal with was the 1/2hp pump. It creats a lot of water flow, and we had to plumb 3 different outlets so the pond didnt turn into whitwater rapids. When I saw this package deal at a pool supply place (1/2 hp with 20 gal canister for $500) the price seemed right to me.

I gave up on the pool filter, way to much flow. The price on fx5, etc is outragous< sp too.

I found the fx5 for $200. I'll try and get the info on here.

I just bought the FX5 on ebay for $198.95 shipped. I really like the design and the large media compartments. I also like the fact it has a drain valve.

Back
Top Bottom