Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2003, 01:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

dang

I remember seeing a site which had a table, dictating how many X water volume should pass through the skimmer depending on the setup

If I remember correctly, it was none to 2x for a full reef setup, 3-4x for a fowlr and 5+ for fish only or fowlr with heavy bioload.

so your 29 gallon going by that table would be 90 to 150 gph ... I think a mag 2 would work well for you - after the head pressure from the skimmer, you'd be left with ~160 gph

i'll continue searching for the site and post the link when I find it.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Thanks a lot.. I am about to take pictures of my progress with the skimmer.. its going absolutely fantastic.. and its a lot of fun brb!

Old 12-27-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are the almost finished project pics!! God... I love DIY projects and power tools!!! Basically what you are seeing is the skimmer in the refugium. The long pipe going from the skimmer to the inlet of the refugium is the outlet of the skimmer.. I did this because I wanted the expelled skimmered water to go through the "getting rid of bubble" walls. I have yet to drill the inlet to the skimmer which will be drilled to fit a 3/4 inch pipe (made to have a flexible tube to go over it). The measurement was made for the easier attachment of the pump that will be for the skimmer. I have more photos of wehen I was making it.. and will have more on the more completed project if you guys want me to post them.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh now that I think about it... while everything is curing to the fullest I want to start cleaning all the dust and markings on the PVC pipes. What can I use that wouldn't contaminate the aquarium water?? My old man suggested acetone as it evaporates.. but I wanted to be sure.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

duh - use clear pvc pipe cleaner - hehe
Old 12-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

heh I meant liquid base! Like should I just use water or something to wipe off the pipes and the markings on them? :P I am about to make the final drill into the cylinder but want to know where (height-wise) and why I should drill there? In the diagram I am using it says to have it wayyyy up there.. but it would be a lot easier for me to just have it right below the cap (where the long horizontal pipe is going to the inlet of the fuge..) which would be pretty high just not the highest. What do you think?

Also how do you determine head pressure?

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, pvc, skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com