Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Possible sump (cylinder) Protein skimmer from PVC??

I was just wondering.. I have thought of a protein skimmer that could pretty easily be made from PVC piping, but was wondering why manufacturers use acrylic? I could make a SUPER cheap one with PVC and a Maxi-jet 1200 PH. Basically it involves a pretty decently size PVC pipe (size depends on tank). Use a Cap on the bottom end of the Pipe. Drill a hole on the side towards the bottom but at an angle so a "tornado" effect is made (where water will enter the system by the Maxi-jet). Drill a hole for the outlet semi-towards the top to dump towards the return pump of the sump/refugium. For the top of the Pipe (the main cylinder) add a smaller (not in diameter) cut pipe, but within that pipe silicone a mini funnel upside down, and voila a collection cup. The collection cup pipe should be a bit longer than the funnel (so the cup doesn't over flow with gunk). And heck if you wanted to have the collection cup housed, just cap it at the top. What do you guys think?

Old 12-26-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if this idea works, I decided I am going to be using a 4 inch diameter pipe for the main cylinder.. the reason being is that my 29 gallon refuge (for my 45G tall tank) have been walled in to fit the DSB and macros... the space where the return is located is about 4.5 inches, letting me fit about a 4 inch PVC pipe. And as I have read the protein skimmers used for 75 gallon tanks are about 5 inches in diameter and about 20 inches in height... so I was going to make it the same hieght but an inch shorter in diameter. I just hope it would be okay to use PVC piping for the skimmer

Old 12-26-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay nevermind I found the plans on another site.. so yay! it is okay to build one like that... I still have one question though... my one prob comes in with the water enetering and leaving the system. Actually the real problem is the water entering the system. The water has to eneter from the top of the syetem and not the bottom from what I see... can a maxijet or any other PH... being on the bottom of the refuge (but right next to the skimmer), pump water through a tube to the top of the skimmer? If so which Mxi jet would be best for the job in my case above?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go for something a bit more powerfull than a maxijet, somelike like a small Magdrive would be more approriate

a good skimmer will have a decent amount of backpressure, which powerheads do not handle too well.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will the Magdrive produce enough bubbles for the protein skimmer to be efficient.. or do I have to use a wooden bubbler? Plus how much do they go?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Electrobes...
These skimmer plans have a URL?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

get a venturi to put on the intake of the mag drive - you'll get tons of bubbles

http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/skimmers.htm - check at the very bottom of the page
Old 12-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

justDIY, Which magdrive do you suggest for a skimmer in a 29 Gallon fuge tank, with dimesions of 4 inches in diameter and 20 inches high??? Also what GPH should I want in this skimmer?
Old 12-27-2003, 04:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh and danse here you go.. very easy to assemble and get parts for.. http://www.aquariacentral.com/diy/skimmer1.shtml
Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not all the magdrives are $80. It really all depends on which one you need.

http://www.reefsplendor.com/pages/pumps/mag.html

I bought mine from marinedepot, they also have good prices on magdrives. The prices at http://www.captivereefs.com aren't bad either, and with them, as an aquariumadvice.com sponsor, you get a 6% discount (or at least you did last I knew). =] Hope this helps, and thanks for the skimmer plans!

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, pvc, skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com