Possible sump (cylinder) Protein skimmer from PVC??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering.. I have thought of a protein skimmer that could pretty easily be made from PVC piping, but was wondering why manufacturers use acrylic? I could make a SUPER cheap one with PVC and a Maxi-jet 1200 PH. Basically it involves a pretty decently size PVC pipe (size depends on tank). Use a Cap on the bottom end of the Pipe. Drill a hole on the side towards the bottom but at an angle so a "tornado" effect is made (where water will enter the system by the Maxi-jet). Drill a hole for the outlet semi-towards the top to dump towards the return pump of the sump/refugium. For the top of the Pipe (the main cylinder) add a smaller (not in diameter) cut pipe, but within that pipe silicone a mini funnel upside down, and voila a collection cup. The collection cup pipe should be a bit longer than the funnel (so the cup doesn't over flow with gunk). And heck if you wanted to have the collection cup housed, just cap it at the top. What do you guys think?

Well if this idea works, I decided I am going to be using a 4 inch diameter pipe for the main cylinder.. the reason being is that my 29 gallon refuge (for my 45G tall tank) have been walled in to fit the DSB and macros... the space where the return is located is about 4.5 inches, letting me fit about a 4 inch PVC pipe. And as I have read the protein skimmers used for 75 gallon tanks are about 5 inches in diameter and about 20 inches in height... so I was going to make it the same hieght but an inch shorter in diameter. I just hope it would be okay to use PVC piping for the skimmer :D

Okay nevermind I found the plans on another site.. so yay! it is okay to build one like that... I still have one question though... my one prob comes in with the water enetering and leaving the system. Actually the real problem is the water entering the system. The water has to eneter from the top of the syetem and not the bottom from what I see... can a maxijet or any other PH... being on the bottom of the refuge (but right next to the skimmer), pump water through a tube to the top of the skimmer? If so which Mxi jet would be best for the job in my case above?

I'd go for something a bit more powerfull than a maxijet, somelike like a small Magdrive would be more approriate

a good skimmer will have a decent amount of backpressure, which powerheads do not handle too well.

Will the Magdrive produce enough bubbles for the protein skimmer to be efficient.. or do I have to use a wooden bubbler? Plus how much do they go?

justDIY, Which magdrive do you suggest for a skimmer in a 29 Gallon fuge tank, with dimesions of 4 inches in diameter and 20 inches high??? Also what GPH should I want in this skimmer?

Not all the magdrives are $80. It really all depends on which one you need.

http://www.reefsplendor.com/pages/pumps/mag.html

I bought mine from marinedepot, they also have good prices on magdrives. The prices at http://www.captivereefs.com aren't bad either, and with them, as an aquariumadvice.com sponsor, you get a 6% discount (or at least you did last I knew). =] Hope this helps, and thanks for the skimmer plans!

dang

I remember seeing a site which had a table, dictating how many X water volume should pass through the skimmer depending on the setup

If I remember correctly, it was none to 2x for a full reef setup, 3-4x for a fowlr and 5+ for fish only or fowlr with heavy bioload.

so your 29 gallon going by that table would be 90 to 150 gph ... I think a mag 2 would work well for you - after the head pressure from the skimmer, you'd be left with ~160 gph

i'll continue searching for the site and post the link when I find it.

Thanks a lot.. I am about to take pictures of my progress with the skimmer.. its going absolutely fantastic.. and its a lot of fun brb!

Here are the almost finished project pics!! God... I love DIY projects and power tools!!! Basically what you are seeing is the skimmer in the refugium. The long pipe going from the skimmer to the inlet of the refugium is the outlet of the skimmer.. I did this because I wanted the expelled skimmered water to go through the "getting rid of bubble" walls. I have yet to drill the inlet to the skimmer which will be drilled to fit a 3/4 inch pipe (made to have a flexible tube to go over it). The measurement was made for the easier attachment of the pump that will be for the skimmer. I have more photos of wehen I was making it.. and will have more on the more completed project if you guys want me to post them.

Oh now that I think about it... while everything is curing to the fullest I want to start cleaning all the dust and markings on the PVC pipes. What can I use that wouldn't contaminate the aquarium water?? My old man suggested acetone as it evaporates.. but I wanted to be sure.

heh I meant liquid base! Like should I just use water or something to wipe off the pipes and the markings on them? :p I am about to make the final drill into the cylinder but want to know where (height-wise) and why I should drill there? In the diagram I am using it says to have it wayyyy up there.. but it would be a lot easier for me to just have it right below the cap (where the long horizontal pipe is going to the inlet of the fuge..) which would be pretty high just not the highest. What do you think?

Also how do you determine head pressure?

Back
Top Bottom