power compact fixture use as UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ric221

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just a thought i want to add UV to my tank to kill off any bad things in the tank. i have a power compact fixture that uses 2 lights, would it be possible to replace one bulb with a UV bulb and have it work as a UV sterilizer for the entire tank

I don't think it would work well. Either you're going to blast your fish with a lot of UV rays or, if you have a glass lid, the UV rays will be blocked and not really do much of anything. I don't know if you'd get enough intensity to do much anyways.

Is there any reason you're looking to add a UV sterilizer, other than as a preventative measure? Some people swear by them, but most seem to think they're a waste of money.

just looking for a little help in maintaining good quailty water for my livestock. 20% changes every week no overfeeding. would the uv rays be bad for the fish?

thank you melosu58. if you don't ask you will never know

I`ve never heard of anyone ever doing it that way. A SW UV sterilizer has the water go into a lighted chamber where the lighting can be intense enough to kill the parasite or algea bloom.

You could make your own but placing it on top will not work. The sterile part comes from the water being blasted with light in close quarters. A lot of uv sterilzers are cf lights.

Back
Top Bottom