Prepare slate and sandstone for FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't be sure it was the decoration it might have been the heater temp sensor being shot. The tank was way over heated. However the problems didn't kick in until the decoration was put in the tank. I lost on tetra and the glass cats are all in bad shape. Their whiskers curled up and feel off and they have damage at the end of their tails.

I moved them to another tank in hopes that they will recover. I took out the decoration and changed the water. I can't risk putting the decoration back in so I guess I'll have to make another one and be darn sure the rock doesn't have anything in it. I didn't see anything leeching out of it.

Did you clean the slate well? Since you bought it as a sheet and it was glued on, there could be residual glue.

Did you let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours then soak the the whole thing to rinse off any by-products from the silicon curing?

Did you clean the slate well? Since you bought it as a sheet and it was glued on, there could be residual glue.

Did you let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours then soak the the whole thing to rinse off any by-products from the silicon curing?

I did scrub down the slate very well but I only let the silicon cure for 24 hours. Maybe that was the issue.

Mind you, I'm just throwing out things that I've read other people had issues with when using silicon.

Did you make sure it was the silicon without mold/mildew prohibitors? From what you said about the glass cats, I have to lean more towards something leaching that a heat issue.

Sorry if I seem nitpicking with the questions.

not at all, I'd like to get to the bottom of it as well. As far as I can tell the silicon doesn't have any mold/mildew killers.

Back
Top Bottom