Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by zparticle View Post
I can't be sure it was the decoration it might have been the heater temp sensor being shot. The tank was way over heated. However the problems didn't kick in until the decoration was put in the tank. I lost on tetra and the glass cats are all in bad shape. Their whiskers curled up and feel off and they have damage at the end of their tails.

I moved them to another tank in hopes that they will recover. I took out the decoration and changed the water. I can't risk putting the decoration back in so I guess I'll have to make another one and be darn sure the rock doesn't have anything in it. I didn't see anything leeching out of it.

Did you clean the slate well? Since you bought it as a sheet and it was glued on, there could be residual glue.

Did you let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours then soak the the whole thing to rinse off any by-products from the silicon curing?

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Did you clean the slate well? Since you bought it as a sheet and it was glued on, there could be residual glue.

Did you let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours then soak the the whole thing to rinse off any by-products from the silicon curing?

I did scrub down the slate very well but I only let the silicon cure for 24 hours. Maybe that was the issue.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Mind you, I'm just throwing out things that I've read other people had issues with when using silicon.

Did you make sure it was the silicon without mold/mildew prohibitors? From what you said about the glass cats, I have to lean more towards something leaching that a heat issue.

Sorry if I seem nitpicking with the questions.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

not at all, I'd like to get to the bottom of it as well. As far as I can tell the silicon doesn't have any mold/mildew killers.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

The glass cats are all dead.

Tags
sand, slate, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com