Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you checked to see that the floor where the stand is is level to the stand.?Meaning, if the bubble in your level is on the left side of the acceptable area of "level", does your floor match that? If not, That could be your issue.
I also see that the bubble in your pic is not dead center which also might be the issue. (I have that issue often which drives me crazy. I mark both the right side and left side of a tank with water level calibrations for that reason. )

Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Have you checked to see that the floor where the stand is is level to the stand.?Meaning, if the bubble in your level is on the left side of the acceptable area of "level", does your floor match that? If not, That could be your issue.
I also see that the bubble in your pic is not dead center which also might be the issue. (I have that issue often which drives me crazy. I mark both the right side and left side of a tank with water level calibrations for that reason. )

The floor in the room isnt the best , but its the only room in the house i can put the tank! However where iv put it now is pretty even , keep me up to speed here whats a water level calibration haha ?
Yeah the bubble isnt dead centre so whats the best bet to do , can i put something under the left legs to bring it up or will they give in under the weight of the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau1parker View Post
The floor in the room isnt the best , but its the only room in the house i can put the tank! However where iv put it now is pretty even , keep me up to speed here whats a water level calibration haha ?
Yeah the bubble isnt dead centre so whats the best bet to do , can i put something under the left legs to bring it up or will they give in under the weight of the water?

You can shim up the legs on the side the water is going to so that it makes the water sit more level in the tank. The more sturdy the shims are ( i.e. wood vs sugar packets lol don't use sugar packs!!! ) the longer it will last and the more stable it will be.
As for water calibrations, I mark my tanks at different levels so I can do specific amounts of water change without having to measure out or guess what I am taking out. The edges of all my tanks look like a ruler from school. lol It just makes it easier on me. But, I mark both edges so that if the tank leans a side or is not 100%, I have the mark. If one side gets erased, I have the other already calibrated so I can remark the missing info. That's what I mean by water calibrations.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

You actually had me wondering if bags of sugar is more strong than wood then hahaha! I see what you mean , thats a good idea that , might look into doing it myself , got it looking abit more even , but theres now gaps inbetween the bottom of the tank and the foam sheet it sits on? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419356082.999026.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	259184 im starting to wonder if the glass is uneven?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

If your local, id be buying a stand off you! Nice work!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTropicals View Post
If your local, id be buying a stand off you! Nice work!

Cheers ! I bought the tank by its self and thought id save so much money building one myself , this probably stood me about 30 quid ! Should try it yourself its not as hard as you think once you've built the frame your virtually there... Completed stand here...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419376740.467314.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	259199
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419376760.550608.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	259200

Old 12-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You actually had me wondering if bags of sugar is more strong than wood then hahaha! I see what you mean , thats a good idea that , might look into doing it myself , got it looking abit more even , but theres now gaps inbetween the bottom of the tank and the foam sheet it sits on? Attachment 259184 im starting to wonder if the glass is uneven?

It's possible the Poly sheet isn;t perfectly flat. Is it still that way ( with gaps) when you put water into the tank? If so, the poly may be too stiff/ non flexible and not giving where it needs to? Might need to get something a little less rigid?
You should know immediately as you fill up the tank. If the poly isn't squeezing anywhere, I'd empty the tank and replace it.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Iv filled the tank a little more , where the gaps where in the pic are getting bigger , should i replace it and just get a sheet of styro ?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Iv filled the tank a little more , where the gaps where in the pic are getting bigger , should i replace it and just get a sheet of styro ?

I would, just to be safe. Sounds like what you are using is not flexible enough and it's causing the issues. The tank can't seem to "sink" into the sheet. My concern is that the bottom glass could break from the stress.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I would, just to be safe. Sounds like what you are using is not flexible enough and it's causing the issues. The tank can't seem to "sink" into the sheet. My concern is that the bottom glass could break from the stress.

Thats what im worrying about , iv emptied the tank so when the hardware shops are back open ill get some styrofoam , last thing i want is a crack in my new tank!

Tags
fish, project, stand, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com