Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Project fish tank/stand

Hello , so i decided to upgrade to a bigger tank , and thought why not make a project out of it ! Im nearly done building the stand all i have to do is build the shelfs , thought id show some pictures :') also is my tank ok to just sit straight onto the mdf sheet ? Iv heard some tanks need to sit on foam? If you know leave a comment , also feel free to leave feedback , will be building the canopy through next week in me spare time
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419116169.759469.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	258955 new tank

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419116206.808168.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	258956 frame and back board done ready to make it look tidy and put doors on !

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419116248.791475.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	258957 how it is now ready for shelfs , i quite like it considering its my first build !

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since I don;t see any frame on the tank, I would most definitely use styro/polystyrene under the tank. Depending on how many gallons will determine how thick it should be. The bigger the tank, the thicker the foam should be.

Hope this helps

Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Since I don;t see any frame on the tank, I would most definitely use styro/polystyrene under the tank. Depending on how many gallons will determine how thick it should be. The bigger the tank, the thicker the foam should be.

Hope this helps

Thats what i thought , its only a 150 litre tank , how thick should it be and were do i get it ? Cheers

Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I generally use 3/4" foam insulation that I get from Home Depot. It comes in a package of 6 panels 14.5" x 48" x 3/4". For that size tank, I would use a single layer but the nice thing about Styro is, if you would feel more comfortable with a thicker base, use it. On some of my smaller tanks ( i.e. 40 L) that were on not so flat surfaces, I just doubled the styro and had no issues.

Hope this helps
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I generally use 3/4" foam insulation that I get from Home Depot. It comes in a package of 6 panels 14.5" x 48" x 3/4". For that size tank, I would use a single layer but the nice thing about Styro is, if you would feel more comfortable with a thicker base, use it. On some of my smaller tanks ( i.e. 40 L) that were on not so flat surfaces, I just doubled the styro and had no issues.

Hope this helps

Got you , iv got some wall insulation left over from a job , would that do the same job or does it have to be poly/styro? Heres a pic Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419256324.468116.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	259090

Old 12-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau1parker View Post
Got you , iv got some wall insulation left over from a job , would that do the same job or does it have to be poly/styro? Heres a pic Attachment 259090

As long as this product can give support AND flexibility (unlike, say, fiberglass insulation), it should be fine. The purpose is to allow the tank to shift to find it's own level without so much resistance, ( such as a flat piece of wood or metal) that it causes the glass or plexi to crack. So if what you have "fits the bill" and does that, you should be fine.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
As long as this product can give support AND flexibility (unlike, say, fiberglass insulation), it should be fine. The purpose is to allow the tank to shift to find it's own level without so much resistance, ( such as a flat piece of wood or metal) that it causes the glass or plexi to crack. So if what you have "fits the bill" and does that, you should be fine.

Right i understand the purpose for it now , iv never come across this before haha, that fits the bill ill get it under the tank before i fill it up, thanks allot for your help!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau1parker View Post
Right i understand the purpose for it now , iv never come across this before haha, that fits the bill ill get it under the tank before i fill it up, thanks allot for your help!

"Back in the day", when tanks were made with metal frames and slate bottoms, this wasn't an issue. But with the creation of the "all glass" aquarium, I got to learn the fine art of detecting what caused a tank to break. Stress cracks on a bottom pane looked different than pressure cracks on side panes and that dreaded "ping" sound one would hear right before the sound of rushing water dripping from a tank led to many discoveries of how NOT to have that happen. LOL
I believe it was by accident ( remember, this WAS a long time ago so I am only guessing at this point ) that we used styro that came from the shipping boxes for fish or coolers and discovered how well this stopped the cracking. But that is the purpose for it. To let the tank move without so much resistance that it cracks.

Good luck with your project. The pics look good so far
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Styro will not alleviate problems created by torquing. It also will not cure problems with the tank being out of level. It will absorb discrepencies in flatness, and absorb point loads such as would be created if you had one grain of gravel on the top of the stand and you placed the tank bottom on it. This type of point load broke more than a few tanks. This prompted the original tank maker of frameless all glass aquariums (Crystal) to build a bottom frame to raise the bottom above the surface it was placed on. This is the reason commercial tanks are built with the bottom elevated, usually within the bottom trim, not because they are better to not have the bottom supported.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Styro will not alleviate problems created by torquing. It also will not cure problems with the tank being out of level. It will absorb discrepencies in flatness, and absorb point loads such as would be created if you had one grain of gravel on the top of the stand and you placed the tank bottom on it. This type of point load broke more than a few tanks. This prompted the original tank maker of frameless all glass aquariums (Crystal) to build a bottom frame to raise the bottom above the surface it was placed on. This is the reason commercial tanks are built with the bottom elevated, usually within the bottom trim, not because they are better to not have the bottom supported.

Right , well can you help with this!? Been doing my head in all night , the stands level , the tanks level and i just filled the tank a little but the waters going to the right side of the tank more to the left? [

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419290435.008983.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	259126  

Tags
fish, project, stand, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com