Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LMAO.......OK..got me.

5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

can you get the bucket at hd?

Old 06-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD.

-brent
Old 06-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
how loud is that pump?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD
Quote:
Actually the best ones to get are the ones from a food service. I can get them regularly fro Subway. They have some green buckets that they get the pickles in. They just throw them away, so you shouold be able to get them for nothing. Just make sure they have a gasket O ring in the lid or they WILL leak. Trust me.

Quote:
how loud is that pump?
The pump I am using (the one pictured) is real quite, you can't hear it running. Let me know I will give you the part number if you are interested.

Mike
Old 06-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD
Quote:
Actually the best ones to get are the ones from a food service. I can get them regularly fro Subway. They have some green buckets that they get the pickles in. They just throw them away, so you shouold be able to get them for nothing. Just make sure they have a gasket O ring in the lid or they WILL leak. Trust me.

Quote:
how loud is that pump?
The pump I am using (the one pictured) is real quite, you can't hear it running. Let me know I will give you the part number if you are interested.

Mike
Old 06-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

why in the world would the bucket have an o-ring in the first place?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alot of thoise buckets that are used in the food industry need the O rings so they will not leak and to keep out bateria. Other than the food industry, they are used to keep out contaminates.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, the real test came today. I am impressed with the results. I scooped out a 5 gallon bucket of my CC substrate to be replaced with my sand. After scooping out the CC, the water was very very dirty and cloudy. I connected the DIY canister filter to it and let it run before putting the sand in. This filter ran exactly 1/2 hour. As you can see it had cleared up the water rather good.

Next I put the sand in the tank. This is much more cloudy than the previous pictures of the CC substrate removal. It took 2 days for the water to clear last time. I am curious to see how long it will take this time. I put another 100 lbs of sand in again. The same as last time.

The only thing filtering this tank at the moment is the DIY cannister filter. I want to see how well it will work.

Below are pictures of when I took out the CC substrate. Before and after a 1/2 hour of filtering. So what do you think? I ask this question because I am new at this and don't have a lot of experience when it comes to this stuff. I would like some feedback from the people who have been into this for a while. I would very much appreciate this.

I know I have not created the ultimate canister filter, but I think I have succeeded in helping fellow aquarists with maybe a good and inexpensive filter.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow looks great!

Although i am concerned about the pump, I have a 55 in which i would like to build your spectacular canister filter for. But im not willing to spend 75 dollars on a pump. I was wondering if you could tell me wether i could use this pump

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...id=2181&pcid1=

thanks

Tags
5 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com