Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have used a nappy bucket has a great seal followed some of the plans here and its been working great for the past 2 months! and a under water pump inside the bucket and making a hole for the power lead out of the bucket side

I was having problems with either the water would drain into the bucket faster than it would pump out or it would pump out mor from the bucket than it would suck out of the tank.

when it all came down to it all the problem was the tank intake pipe.

I had been getting very annoyed all day trying to work out what the problem was so i swaped the spray bar for the intake.

the water level started to drop and then it suddenly stoped going down and stayed at the same level with out raising or falling.

Taking a close look at the intake pipe (the spray bar) i saw the level of the water was just below the top of the last hole and sucking a little air into the pipe so i drilled a hole into the tank intake pipe (and put the spray bar back) and it work fine without a problem at all.

just one more thing because of the air going into the bucket i had to make a small hole in the lid of the bucket .

to prime the pump all i have to do is hold the pipe from the lid of the bucket while its sealed on the bucket and cover the small hole in the lid and gently push the pipe up and down and it runs great.

This has been a great project

Old 12-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
What ended up happening here?

Old 03-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to darthmbuna
alright man, help me out here. . .
i want to build your exact filter here, but with a 5 gallon food container(because they are sealed and wont leak) so. . .
how much did the canister, and all the threads cost?
will a mag 5 as an external pump be useful(500 gph)
and what threads will i need to hook the mag 5 pump up to the 5/8" tubing you are using?

i want to build this over tomorrow, because my canister just died tonight, lol. i only have 68 bucks, and 54 of that is for the pump. is the other 16 bucks gonna be enough for the threads, container, and any other supplies needed? (besides the tubing, i have loads of that)

thanks for any help
-steve
-200 watt heater
-aquaglo lights
-diy canopy
-lots of blue and yellow mbuna

18 Gallon Hospital/Growout/Extra Mbuna Tank
-aqua clear 300 mechanical-biological filter
-200 watt heater
-incandescent lights
-currently holding one 1 srt zebra
darthmbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to redBernadino Send a message via Yahoo to redBernadino
Sparky... I'm not sure if you covered this, but what was the exact problem with getting it started? Sounds to me that you got the pump to pump water, just not strong enough to push it all the way up to the main tank. If its not too late (and for what it's worth) maybe you should try filling the pipes up with water after you prime the 5 gal. This way, when you switch on the pump, it should start working. I had that problem with my wet/dry, and just need to make sure the pipes were full of water before I switched on the pump. HTH
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hey man, i really need some help now. . .
the mag 7(700 gph) is on the way, will be here thursday
i have used 3 fresh new lids- they all leaked, and they all have orings in them, and i got them for free from a deli. i have built my filter the same as yours- i just didnt put the outlet tap on the top, it is on the side of the bucket. please tell me how you kept your lid and o-ring from leaking. i have silicone here- is it possible to fix mine with that?
-200 watt heater
-aquaglo lights
-diy canopy

-200 watt heater
-incandescent lights
Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks nice. The 5 gallon bucket filter is actaully quite common in ponds. My father in law built one similar and it clears that pond in no time. His leaks all over, though being outside it doesn't matter, it runs back into the pond anyhow.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Newbie

GRRRR come on help me!!!!!!! i really want to make this, but for some reason all my o-rings leaked. where did you get your bucket? can you post pics of the o-ring? does your leak at all? can i possibly get the same bucket as yours online?
-200 watt heater
-aquaglo lights
-diy canopy

-200 watt heater
-incandescent lights
Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i havent filled mine with water but im almost positive its watertight. its really hard to open so that helps too.

i got mine from subway. some of them give them ouit for free (got 3 from 1 and 1 from another)

Tags
5 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com