Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Proto-Type 5 Gallon Canister Filter

Well I have tested the canister filter. Using a 5 gallon bucket. So far I am convinced that this will work very good. I am going to build the one for my tank this week and should have it in place by the week's end. I will be testing this one through-out the week so as to make sure there is no trouble with leaking. So far so good. No leaks, even when I shut off the pump. Once it is primed you never need to prime it again until you open it for service.

Here are a couple pics of the proto-type.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How much was the pump?

Old 05-31-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
So is the bucket filled with sand like a pool filter or...? Sorry, all I've ever had is a HOB filter.

-brent
Old 05-31-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brilliant! Can you provide us with a "cut-away view" (drawing) so we can see the inner workings?
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK.. first off, there is just water in the bucket. I wanted to test to make sure that the water would flow correctly. Also the when I shut off the pump that the pressure would not cause any leaks. Both have tested good.
Quote:
How much was the pump?
The pump I got for 75.00. They sell tham at Grainger. 600 gph.

The plan is to put eggcrate 5 inches from the bottom of the bucket, and then to layer the filter media on top of that including charcoal. The canister will be filled completely with water the whole time and the pump will draw the water through the filter and back to the tank.

As I build the one that will go on my tank I will take pictures and post them with step by step instructions including a material list. Here are a couple more pictures of the test setup.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Excellent concept sparky! You figure on putting eggcrate, then media on top of that. What type of media are you considering? the cotton filter media and carbon or some of the other ceramic, etc types of media? I think you might want to consider some sort of nylon screening on top of the eggcrate to keep any small particles of media/carbon from falling through and into your pump (damaging the impellers) and then getting into the tank. You could probably accomplish this easily by getting a small scrap piece of plastic door screen and superglue it to the top of the eggcrate.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I think you might want to consider some sort of nylon screening on top of the eggcrate to keep any small particles of media/carbon from falling through and into your pump (damaging the impellers) and then getting into the tank.

I was thinking of using 100 Micron filter media at that point. This should keep any of the carbon out of the pump. I was also thinking of "bagging" the carbon to keep it together.

I am up for any suggestions as to what filter media would be best. If this works out like I think it will, it will save alot of money for some people. AAnd make it easier for others to "afford" a canister filter. I can see this thing being used for all kiinds of filtering options based on the media you intend to use.

I will be off to HD today to buy my piping. I am going to hard pipe the one I am going to use. But the hose will work fine for those that don't want to spend the extra money on piping.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm intrigued, and that says something. Good work!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
AAnd make

Hey Bearfan, you missed one. Sleepin on the job again. You know that will get you fired...LOL
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Actually caught that, and figured you were tributing AA in all of your life by substituting it in at the beginning of the word "and"

Tags
5 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com