Proto-Type 5 Gallon Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have tested the canister filter. Using a 5 gallon bucket. So far I am convinced that this will work very good. I am going to build the one for my tank this week and should have it in place by the week's end. I will be testing this one through-out the week so as to make sure there is no trouble with leaking. So far so good. No leaks, even when I shut off the pump. Once it is primed you never need to prime it again until you open it for service.

Here are a couple pics of the proto-type.

So is the bucket filled with sand like a pool filter or...? Sorry, all I've ever had is a HOB filter. :)

-brent

OK.. first off, there is just water in the bucket. I wanted to test to make sure that the water would flow correctly. Also the when I shut off the pump that the pressure would not cause any leaks. Both have tested good.
How much was the pump?

The pump I got for 75.00. They sell tham at Grainger. 600 gph.

The plan is to put eggcrate 5 inches from the bottom of the bucket, and then to layer the filter media on top of that including charcoal. The canister will be filled completely with water the whole time and the pump will draw the water through the filter and back to the tank.

As I build the one that will go on my tank I will take pictures and post them with step by step instructions including a material list. Here are a couple more pictures of the test setup.

Excellent concept sparky! You figure on putting eggcrate, then media on top of that. What type of media are you considering? the cotton filter media and carbon or some of the other ceramic, etc types of media? I think you might want to consider some sort of nylon screening on top of the eggcrate to keep any small particles of media/carbon from falling through and into your pump (damaging the impellers) and then getting into the tank. You could probably accomplish this easily by getting a small scrap piece of plastic door screen and superglue it to the top of the eggcrate.

I think you might want to consider some sort of nylon screening on top of the eggcrate to keep any small particles of media/carbon from falling through and into your pump (damaging the impellers) and then getting into the tank.

I was thinking of using 100 Micron filter media at that point. This should keep any of the carbon out of the pump. I was also thinking of "bagging" the carbon to keep it together.

I am up for any suggestions as to what filter media would be best. If this works out like I think it will, it will save alot of money for some people. AAnd make it easier for others to "afford" a canister filter. I can see this thing being used for all kiinds of filtering options based on the media you intend to use.

I will be off to HD today to buy my piping. I am going to hard pipe the one I am going to use. But the hose will work fine for those that don't want to spend the extra money on piping.

Mike

Actually caught that, and figured you were tributing AA in all of your life by substituting it in at the beginning of the word "and" :D

You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD.

-brent

You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD
can you get the bucket at hd?

Actually the best ones to get are the ones from a food service. I can get them regularly fro Subway. They have some green buckets that they get the pickles in. They just throw them away, so you shouold be able to get them for nothing. Just make sure they have a gasket O ring in the lid or they WILL leak. Trust me.

how loud is that pump?

The pump I am using (the one pictured) is real quite, you can't hear it running. Let me know I will give you the part number if you are interested.

Mike

You can get a bucket like that just about anywhere. Probably even walmart. But yea, definetly HD
can you get the bucket at hd?

Actually the best ones to get are the ones from a food service. I can get them regularly fro Subway. They have some green buckets that they get the pickles in. They just throw them away, so you shouold be able to get them for nothing. Just make sure they have a gasket O ring in the lid or they WILL leak. Trust me.

how loud is that pump?

The pump I am using (the one pictured) is real quite, you can't hear it running. Let me know I will give you the part number if you are interested.

Mike

Alot of thoise buckets that are used in the food industry need the O rings so they will not leak and to keep out bateria. Other than the food industry, they are used to keep out contaminates.

OK, the real test came today. I am impressed with the results. I scooped out a 5 gallon bucket of my CC substrate to be replaced with my sand. After scooping out the CC, the water was very very dirty and cloudy. I connected the DIY canister filter to it and let it run before putting the sand in. This filter ran exactly 1/2 hour. As you can see it had cleared up the water rather good.

Next I put the sand in the tank. This is much more cloudy than the previous pictures of the CC substrate removal. It took 2 days for the water to clear last time. I am curious to see how long it will take this time. I put another 100 lbs of sand in again. The same as last time.

The only thing filtering this tank at the moment is the DIY cannister filter. I want to see how well it will work.

Below are pictures of when I took out the CC substrate. Before and after a 1/2 hour of filtering. So what do you think? I ask this question because I am new at this and don't have a lot of experience when it comes to this stuff. I would like some feedback from the people who have been into this for a while. I would very much appreciate this.

I know I have not created the ultimate canister filter, but I think I have succeeded in helping fellow aquarists with maybe a good and inexpensive filter.

Back
Top Bottom