pump location in DIY canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rychean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody,
Considering a PVC canister filter, but have a question about the pump. The most understandable plans I have seen have water flow via tube from aquarium to top of filter, running through media via gravity, reaching the bottom of filter and then being sent by pump back up into aquarium.

With the pump I'm looking at, I don't know if it's got the juice to pull that off (if I had the money, I wouldn't be doing this DIY :) ). So I was thinking of submerging the pump and getting it to pump water into top of the filter and then when the water gets to the bottom, the only way out is through a tube back into the aquarium. I know this would be easier with a diagram - sorry.

Question is - will this work, or is it going to be too difficult to get the return tubing to work against gravity? I can set this filter next to the tank, where it wouldn't have to fight as hard, but I think half the fun of a canister is that you don't see it. :)
Thanks for your help!
Brian

What's the specs on the pump? Gph regular flow? And does it have any specs for pumping water up in footage? I don't see why it wouldn't work either way. Just be sure to put in a check valve and prob a shut off valve on both sides also. Plus make sure the valves aren't metal!

If the pump isn't strong enough to be at the bottom of the canister and return it to the tank then it isn't going to be able to push it through the canister and then back to the tank unless it is gravity fed to the aquarium (the canister is over the aquarium). If it was gravity fed back to the aquarium then the pump would have to be inside the tank though...

@aaronjohn20 - I believe it was 140GPH, up to 3 feet (of course, the 140 is the rating when it's not pumping against gravity). This is all meant to filter a 30G.
@smitty - your first sentence makes sense. Assuming the pump has sufficient power, does it matter which part of the cycle has the pump (as in the pump pulls water out of aquarium, or pump pushes it back in)?
The tank is 18" tall, so might it work if the canister were next to the tank, rather than below it?
Thanks for your help!

That is a pretty small pump. I think that if you have a overflow you will want to limit how much goes into the canister. If you put the canister next to the tank you would have to set it just under the overflow so that gravity would fill it and the pump would return it to the tank. You would want to make sure the canister is sealed to prevent it from spilling.

I think with a pump that small you will not see the benefits of a canister. The flow is going to be really low and it may just turn into a nitrate factory. It would be better to just wait until you can afford a canister or a better pump.

You can get maxi jet 1200 pumps for pretty cheap, that should double your existing pump for about $25. Maybe less if you buy used or shop around.

You can get maxi jet 1200 pumps for pretty cheap, that should double your existing pump for about $25. Maybe less if you buy used or shop around.

Thanks, Saratj1. Given that I don't have a pump yet, I'm thinking that the DIY would be just as expensive as finding a used 'non-DYI' canister. I have a feeling that's going to be the way to go for me. Unfortunately, extra water pumps are not just sitting around my office. :)

Back
Top Bottom