Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bsboz611
Pump Repair

I have recently had two pumps go out on me with the same problem. One of the pumps is from a simple power head and the other is from my Fluval 330 canister filter; however, the parts are very similar to each other and to most other aquarium pumps. The problem is that the magnetized cylinder does not rotate properly in the well without a hand to hold it centered in the well. Only when perfectly centered in the well will it jump to life. I have noticed in both of my pumps that the metal rod that holds the propeller to the cylinder is not glued to either the cylinder or the propeller………I wonder if this would correct this? I have included a diagram of the pump part in question.

Are my pumps fixable or just.plain.busted????

Other questions that I have on this topic include: Is there a website to order parts for these pumps?
Has anyone tried using a PH or pump to cycle the water through a canister filter in cases when the canister pump breaks? If so, any tips?

Old 11-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Hmm...if you're asking about gluing the rod to the impeller, that will not work. The impeller is supposed to rotate on the rod. Sounds like either your impellers are worn out or the rubber caps on the ends of the rod are worn and not keeping it centered. Although I don't carry parts for PH's or canisters, I expect you could contact the manufacturer and order a replacement impeller for either unit. I don't see any reason you couldn't use a pump such as a Mag Drive to power the canister although I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble and expense to do it. JMHO.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i have a fluval 330 as well, and had to get some misc. parts for it a few months back (i think april-may 04) just contact hagen, via telephone or web, explain to them what you need, they will promptly send one out.

based on your description it sounds like you just need a new impeller. if you don't have a credit card, you could check with your local LFS, my local LFS does stock some parts for some canister filters, if not they will special order one for you, (which will take longer) but you can pay in any form (cash, check, etc) at your LFS for the part.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bsboz611
Thanks for the right on advise!!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
if i helped any, your welcome. if not.. your still welcome. =P

Tags
pump, repair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com