Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would go ahead and get a small power head or even a small fountain pump rated for SW use. Good ones should be silent so you can run it 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you've got an old computer mouse pad, that should help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
If the pump is new, return it and get one that is quiet. I have used Hagen Elite pumps over the years and they are silent.
The pump is new but the problem is that its too old to return. I got it a few months ago. I consider that pretty new.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not put pumps in boxes or wrap them up in anything as they can overheat and cause a fire. Setting it on a towel should solve the vibration issue.If it is still loud than it is a bad pump and you should replace it as it won't last long anyways noise other than vibration is from parts rubbing and bumping that should not be.

I had a whisper air pump that was very quite when on my carpet. I had it for years but it recently broke because my 18 month old kept standing on it cause it tickled his feet. Could not keep that kid off that thing.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also check back pressure by unattaching the airline from the pump. If that quiet downs the pump, see my previous post as to what to do.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Assuming your pump is not rubbing against anything, Vibrating pumps are usually loud due to back pressure. You need to use a gang valve which has at least 1 more valve than you are currently needing. Start with all valves closed. Open up all the valves connected to your objects to slightly higher levels than you want to run then slowly open up the last or unused valve to let the air escape. Open this valve until the pressure to your other objects gets to the levels you want. ( some readjusting may be necessary.) This should not only quiet down the pump but make the pump run more effeciently and make the diaphragms and flappers inside the pump last longer. Try NOT putting anything under the pump as this is where most pumps have their air intakes. If you block those, the noise will be worse.
IF the noise coming from the open valve is too loud for you ( there will be some hissing depending on how open you needed it to be), you can attach a piece of airline tubing and an air stone to that last valve to act as a buffer. Do not put this in the water however. This is just to baffle the sound.

IF this does not remedy your situation, there is a good chance you have too large a pump for what you are using it for. It would then be recommended that you downsize the air pump.

Hope this helps
did everyone miss this post?

there is a reason another name for a gang valve is a bleeder valve, to bleed off excess pressure.
what Andy posted above is the most sound advice, followed by suspending the pump so it's not touching anything.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
did everyone miss this post?

there is a reason another name for a gang valve is a bleeder valve, to bleed off excess pressure.
what Andy posted above is the most sound advice, followed by suspending the pump so it's not touching anything.
I will try to solve the issue today when I get home. Yesterday I got distracted so today is the plan.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Tags
loud, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com