Pump too loud please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to silence this air pump somehow and it's so loud that it can be heard on the other side of the house! It's brand new so I doubt it's broken or anything, plus it works very well! Can someone tell me how to modify it or how to build some kind of sound proof box for it? I'm really annoyed with this thing so any help is greatly appreciated.
Oh and on the title I meant too not to.

NatureFish
????

What kind of air pump do you have? Is the pump loud because it vibrates? I have a Tetra Whisper, the vibrations of which made a real racket against the wood shelf where it was sat. I put a towel underneath it which fixed the problem.

What kind of air pump do you have? Is the pump loud because it vibrates? I have a Tetra Whisper, the vibrations of which made a real racket against the wood shelf where it was sat. I put a towel underneath it which fixed the problem.

It's some weird petco brand. And yes it's the vibrations. The actually stone itself is extremely loud too though. It's for a pico reef I'm trying to create. It must be running 24/7 which is why it has to be quiet!

NatureFish
????

My suggestion would be to try putting a towel or washcloth underneath it, if possible. If you have a check valve you could even put it on your floor if it's carpeted. As long as no intakes are blocked and the pump doesn't get hot this should be an easy solution.

My suggestion would be to try putting a towel or washcloth underneath it, if possible. If you have a check valve you could even put it on your floor if it's carpeted. As long as no intakes are blocked and the pump doesn't get hot this should be an easy solution.

It's a wood floor...

NatureFish
????

Ok I'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!

NatureFish
????

Put it on a very solid base like a slate tile. It can really help. The more solid it sits the less vibration. Using a rubber mat like a door mat will help some too. Or lots of soft material. I gave up the other night and set mine on a bunch of cloths in a cloth basket. It worked. I saw somewhere in the diy section where someone had built a sound dampening box for theirs.

...I saw somewhere in the diy section where someone had built a sound dampening box for theirs.

For this I suppose you could use a plastic container with a lid (or empty margarine tub). Put a thick sponge in there for the pump to rest on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

open the case and silicone everything not associated with air flow. I did this to an old air pump and it made a world of difference. I also have suspended them with a zip tie thumb tacked to the edge of the stand so the pump does not touch anything.

open the case and silicone everything not associated with air flow. I did this to an old air pump and it made a world of difference. I also have suspended them with a zip tie thumb tacked to the edge of the stand so the pump does not touch anything.

I can't figure out how it opens...

NatureFish
????

I have not opened an air pump in decades. Used to be able to remove the rubber base, pull out and replace the rubber diaphragms, hinges, and valves. Has the design changed much for the newer models?

I would put it in a box with foam. Or get a new pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I need to silence this air pump somehow and it's so loud that it can be heard on the other side of the house! It's brand new so I doubt it's broken or anything, plus it works very well! Can someone tell me how to modify it or how to build some kind of sound proof box for it? I'm really annoyed with this thing so any help is greatly appreciated.
Oh and on the title I meant too not to.

NatureFish
????

Assuming your pump is not rubbing against anything, Vibrating pumps are usually loud due to back pressure. You need to use a gang valve which has at least 1 more valve than you are currently needing. Start with all valves closed. Open up all the valves connected to your objects to slightly higher levels than you want to run then slowly open up the last or unused valve to let the air escape. Open this valve until the pressure to your other objects gets to the levels you want. ( some readjusting may be necessary.) This should not only quiet down the pump but make the pump run more effeciently and make the diaphragms and flappers inside the pump last longer. Try NOT putting anything under the pump as this is where most pumps have their air intakes. If you block those, the noise will be worse.
IF the noise coming from the open valve is too loud for you ( there will be some hissing depending on how open you needed it to be), you can attach a piece of airline tubing and an air stone to that last valve to act as a buffer. Do not put this in the water however. This is just to baffle the sound.

IF this does not remedy your situation, there is a good chance you have too large a pump for what you are using it for. It would then be recommended that you downsize the air pump.

Hope this helps (y)

Could it be the airstone is vibrating against the glass, and this is making the noise??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just gave up on my Fusion air pump and turned it off. Luckily I hit the jackpot Thanksgiving week and was given 8 air pumps of varying sizes. There was a large Second Nature Challenger II one that I decided to try. It is large and sits on a thick rubber base. It is quieter than any I have ever owned. I think it is because it sits on such a thick rubber base. Perhaps a piece of solid rubber of some type would help?

PA Pat- I am going to try the silicone thing myself. Great idea.

First I'm going to try silencing it from the outside with a sound proof box hidden in a drawer of mine. It's for a pico I'm going to set up soon and I can't continue till I figure out how to get this thing to be quiet. Like a power head will this have to be on at night too? If so I may have to find an alternative besides a power head (a power head would blow the water out of the tank).

NatureFish
????

I'll try to figure it out when I get home. Thanks though!

NatureFish
????

If the pump is new, return it and get one that is quiet. I have used Hagen Elite pumps over the years and they are silent.

Back
Top Bottom