Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pump too loud please help!

I need to silence this air pump somehow and it's so loud that it can be heard on the other side of the house! It's brand new so I doubt it's broken or anything, plus it works very well! Can someone tell me how to modify it or how to build some kind of sound proof box for it? I'm really annoyed with this thing so any help is greatly appreciated.
Oh and on the title I meant too not to.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 12-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to MacabreGoblin
What kind of air pump do you have? Is the pump loud because it vibrates? I have a Tetra Whisper, the vibrations of which made a real racket against the wood shelf where it was sat. I put a towel underneath it which fixed the problem.

29G freshwater tropical community tank
MacabreGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreGoblin View Post
What kind of air pump do you have? Is the pump loud because it vibrates? I have a Tetra Whisper, the vibrations of which made a real racket against the wood shelf where it was sat. I put a towel underneath it which fixed the problem.
It's some weird petco brand. And yes it's the vibrations. The actually stone itself is extremely loud too though. It's for a pico reef I'm trying to create. It must be running 24/7 which is why it has to be quiet!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #4

My suggestion would be to try putting a towel or washcloth underneath it, if possible. If you have a check valve you could even put it on your floor if it's carpeted. As long as no intakes are blocked and the pump doesn't get hot this should be an easy solution.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreGoblin View Post
My suggestion would be to try putting a towel or washcloth underneath it, if possible. If you have a check valve you could even put it on your floor if it's carpeted. As long as no intakes are blocked and the pump doesn't get hot this should be an easy solution.
It's a wood floor...

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #6

In that case my original suggestion of using a towel or wash cloth might be your best bet.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 12-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put it on a very solid base like a slate tile. It can really help. The more solid it sits the less vibration. Using a rubber mat like a door mat will help some too. Or lots of soft material. I gave up the other night and set mine on a bunch of cloths in a cloth basket. It worked. I saw somewhere in the diy section where someone had built a sound dampening box for theirs.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
...I saw somewhere in the diy section where someone had built a sound dampening box for theirs.
For this I suppose you could use a plastic container with a lid (or empty margarine tub). Put a thick sponge in there for the pump to rest on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

open the case and silicone everything not associated with air flow. I did this to an old air pump and it made a world of difference. I also have suspended them with a zip tie thumb tacked to the edge of the stand so the pump does not touch anything.

Tags
loud, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com