Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Kasakato

I am going to build my PVC overflow. Today I am going out to HD and getting the stuff I need. My ? is what kind of cement do I use for white PVC pipes? Do I need a primer and then the cement? Is it safe for fish?

Kasakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
basic PVC cement will be fine. read the label and be sure its "safe for drinking water" ask a HD plumber if you have any doubt. I think mine had a purple label.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
Also, just a suggestion, but I did this to make 100% sure.

If you have the means (an extra pump and place to hold some water), run water through it for 12 - 24 hours.

I just wanted to make sure that anything in the pipe's or excreted by the glue was washed out before getting anywhere near my tank with it.

It's also a PAIN to prime the thing. I ended up drilling a small hole in the top of the 45 deg elbow, and attaching a valve to it, to assist with evacuating the air.

(also, you MAY want to go lower with the back part than I did with mine, or use 3/4 - 1" ID pipe.. The flow rate is kinda low.. I'd guess about 40 - 50 GPH)

just fyi.
Verbalkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hm ... 40-50 ghp in a 1/2" setup ... That's ball park of my estimation in the "other" PVC overflow thread .... That's too bad. I was hoping that I was wrong. I guess I'll have to look at some other system of overflow.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com