pvc glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys i have used this brand glue before it said potable water on it but they changed it a little now it does not to me it looks like it contains all same glue ok never mind it is wrong i got cpvc glue last time this is pvc all extra it contains i guess based on ingredients is a pvc resin and a chemical called acetone is this safe for my fish/corals i am making a new overflow for my 29 gal

nope wont be using it then :( crap i had the other stuff in hand at the store why did i grab this!! :( five bucks down drain unless my dad needs it somewere lol

i left it at that, i wasnt sure if acetone would be safe or not... it evaporates very quickly though... maybe somebody with more experience might know for sure, i just grew up with a father who is a chemistry teacher, so i learned my chemicals real quick... does the glue itself contain acetone or did you get the cleaner? if its just the cleaner, isopropyl (i think i spelled that right lol) alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) will work just as good... if its the glue, not so sure about that

its in glue i will post a site about this glue once i find one...... i may have enough of the old glue i used last time to build this here is a link it has a msds sheet on website product number for mine is 30821 can looks like its the same one as pic and on here is says potable water but on can no mention of it All Purpose Cement :: Oatey.com

Well CPVC generally carries hot water (or water in general) so I'd think it would be safe..

but you also have to look at other possibilities... we can drink water with chlorine in it no problem right? fish cant have chlorine in their water... just saying that just because its safe for us to drink doesnt mean it is safe for aquarium water to be in... thats my opinion not to try and shoot you down pp5

i have heard alot of people say that once the glue drys its ok but then i have heard alot of people say look for it to say potable water on the website it does on bottle i does not..... both of you have good oppinions

I say just glue it, and rinse it out with water + water conditioner. I doubt any harm will come from using it. but I would suggest getting actual PVC glue haha.

Well CPVC generally carries hot water (or water in general) so I'd think it would be safe..
PVC cement is usually for waste water pipes not drinking water. They do have a plastic tubing that is used for potable supply water I believe it is called PEX tubing and uses brass or copper compression couplings. At least here in NY and NJ. In fact even in NY it was illegal to use PVC in any part of a house up until a few years ago when they changed the BLDG code. The city wouldn't allow its use because when PVC is burnt it creates a deadly mustard type gas.

Keith you are correct PVC can be used below the slab and CPVC above the slab. I am not sure what PEX is tho.

What is the best glue to use for the tanks? CPVC and PVC glue's are completley diffrent.

I know with some solvents they end up fading away as the adhesive dries/cures. But I was also wondering if it would be safe for fish tank use.... like another poster said we can tolerate stuff in our drinking water that fish can't.

Yep I just googled it and pretty much any glue will work. Just different opinions on each brand but concess seems to be the same.

hey guys i have used this brand glue before it said potable water on it but they changed it a little now it does not to me it looks like it contains all same glue ok never mind it is wrong i got cpvc glue last time this is pvc all extra it contains i guess based on ingredients is a pvc resin and a chemical called acetone is this safe for my fish/corals i am making a new overflow for my 29 gal
Just curious... What type of overflow are you making? U-Tube type or a Box?

divedeep,
What type of tube/ piping are you using?
The glue for pvc, and cpvc are not interchangable.
Pex tubing/pipe degrades in sunlight over time.

All can be used in aquariums without a problem. Allow glued fittings to dry and cure before use.

divedeep,
What type of tube/ piping are you using?
The glue for pvc, and cpvc are not interchangable.
Pex tubing/pipe degrades in sunlight over time.

All can be used in aquariums without a problem. Allow and glued fittings to dry and cure before use.

+1

I have used pvc glue and pvc pipe on each of my sump installations. Let it set for a day or two if you are worried. It's not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom