PVC overflow (??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
usually its 8-10 inches but for the mini it might be 6-8. I would let it run for a couple weeks to break in then you can adjust the water height. ASM skimmers are amazing once they get kicking. I have the same one, I have yet to set it up again on this tank though.

So do you think that I can just keep it running with the PWC's water until I get my sump finished?

The overflow(s) that I'm making are really impressing my husband, lol :)
Thanks to those of you that are helping me here on AA, I'm a hero in his eyes. I'm going to have to keep a compare sheet to show him what it would've cost vs. what it did cost. Hopefully I'm in the green!!

Yea you will be fine. PWCs will accomplish a lot. You can run some GAC or throw some macro in there if you are worried.

yeah, I've been told PWC's are all I need for a 29g :p, but I'm so looking forward to learning how/seeing how a sump/refugium works, plumbing and all, before starting on the 150g build :)

Hey, but since I'm going to "break-in" my skimmer by sitting in a tank of just PWC water, as long as I keep it aerated, can I reuse the water and put it back in my DT like in next week's PWC??

yeah, I've been told PWC's are all I need for a 29g :p, but I'm so looking forward to learning how/seeing how a sump/refugium works, plumbing and all, before starting on the 150g build :)

Hey, but since I'm going to "break-in" my skimmer by sitting in a tank of just PWC water, as long as I keep it aerated, can I reuse the water and put it back in my DT like in next week's PWC??

No, because the trace elements in the water are depleted/lower. You want to add fresh stuff to boost all the beneficial element levels. Ca, Mg, I, stuff like that.

oh, ok. Makes sense. And by the way...skimmer...really loud. I'm going to have my Dad throw together a box to house it all in temporarily.

If possible I would try to use a clear pipe at the top of your overflow so you can keep an eye on any air bubbles and algae build up.the air bubbles should go straight through your overflow but if your return pump filter gets slightly blocked the water rate drops and bubbles will accumulate at the highest point of the overflow(clear pipe)once you've cleaned the filter the bubles will be forced through to the sump.

I wouldn't use clear pipe actually. I switched to garden hose for all my flex tubing if possible, its much cheaper and it blocks light from growing lots of algae in there.

I realize you are talking about rigid, but the same applies. I would leave one of the closer fittings unglued so you can take it off to check algae growth/clean.

I skimmed through the thread, but I didn't see anything about siphon breaks, so you need to do something to make sure the water doesn't drain back into the sump.

I wouldn't use clear pipe actually. I switched to garden hose for all my flex tubing if possible, its much cheaper and it blocks light from growing lots of algae in there.

I realize you are talking about rigid, but the same applies. I would leave one of the closer fittings unglued so you can take it off to check algae growth/clean.

I'm not to sure about garden hose as you never know whats coming from the actual hose itself,plus too easy to kink.

Where can I get clear pipe?

you can acrylic pipe in most sizes

I skimmed through the thread, but I didn't see anything about siphon breaks, so you need to do something to make sure the water doesn't drain back into the sump.

The intake will be close to the top of the tank/water level. On the returns, I plan to have check valves.

I'm leaving all of the pieces of PVC that's inside of the tank unglued so that I can take apart for whatever reason.

Plus, this is all temporary for now :)

they will need this in the return pipe, a hole in the return pipe just under the water level but at the moment we are just trying to sort out the syphon pipe.

The intake will be close to the top of the tank/water level. On the returns, I plan to have check valves.

I'm not to sure about putting them in the return pipe either as I've never done or needed to,just a hole drilled into the return pipe in the dt just below water level will suffice

I'm leaving all of the pieces of PVC that's inside of the tank unglued so that I can take apart for whatever reason.

Plus, this is all temporary for now :)

Just remember this is a suction pipe,if you leave the submersed pipe unglued make sure they have a good fit otherwise water will still go through the syphon via the joints and will break the syphon with air!!
meaning no water getting to your sump but plenty going into your dt,Flood warning.

I'm not to sure about garden hose as you never know whats coming from the actual hose itself,plus too easy to kink.

I use the one with the metal mesh woven through it. You just have to be sure that you get a Vinyl one, they are completely safe. If you are really paranoid about it you can get the ones for boats and campers which are made from "medical" grade vinyl. Its all food grade stuff.

just a hole drilled into the return pipe in the dt just below water level will suffice
That is what most people use, I use 2 holes on opposite sides below the water line. You might get a snail sitting on the hole and get a flood that Way. You know..."Whatever that can go wrong, will go wrong and at the worse possible time".

Back
Top Bottom