PVC Pipe as bio material ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

technot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to use 1/2" PVC Pipe like bio balls. I'm designing a filter for it. I would roughen the outside & inside with Sand paper or wire brush. Then cut the pipe into 1/2" or 3/4" pieces, then glue them together in the shape of a honeycomb. Then fit them in a 4" PVC Pipe. There will be spacers in between them for water flow. The reason for the honeycomb shape is so I can take out sections and rinse them in the dishwasher for cleaning.

I would agree with jetajockey on the scrubbies. It would be far simpler, and easier to use the pot scrubbies, which would be easy to remove and clean, and they are very cheap, as well as providing a very large surface area.

Hi all, wanted to thank everyone for the advice, and now back to figuring how to make the scrubbies work. Gotta few good ideas. Thanks again . ;)

If you want to try the scrubbies, get a pipe the same diameter as the scrubbies and stack them. The scrubbies can be unrolled for easy cleaning.

Well I was gonna go with my original plan and use the PVC pipe, but tack the scrubbies across the front of it with silicone. leaving a space at the top for the over flow, for when the scrubbie can't pass water through it. (as a back up) cause the way I wanna do this is go from the UGF to a power head or 2 to feed this filter. then have it return to the top of the tank.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you have planned, but, I think you need to keep the scrubbies loose to allow for easy removal for cleaning.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you have planned, but, I think you need to keep the scrubbies loose to allow for easy removal for cleaning.

Yes, I was going to just tack the corners with silicone. that way I can easily remove for cleaning.

The reason I came up with this is because I wanna be able to do easier maintenance, and be able to seed new filters for other tanks with it.

Back
Top Bottom