Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Welcome to AA....I just noticed you weren't the OP on this thread.

DO NOT use a pump to draw water into your sump. It won't work and even trying it can and most likely will lead to a disaster.

Let's step back a bit.
Quote:
I made a 90 gallon acrylic tank,....
Did you actually make this yourself or did you buy it? Is this a Reef Ready tank? Where is the drain line and return line drilled?

The plumbing to and from the sump is pretty simple. Your return line is 3/4", so use 3/4" ID pvc or clear tubing and go from the pump to the bulkhead. Use whatever adapters you may need to match up the pump outlet with the 3/4" line...if necessary.
The drain line is 1", so use 1" ID pvc or 1" flexible drain line from HD or Lowes and just go directly from the bulkhead into the sump.

You can use ball valves if you want. I have them, but never use them. You can take a look at my build thread (link is below) and see how I did my plumbing.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all of your help everyone. I think I am going to keep it simple from this point on. I will use only 1 pump on the return line and I will use hoses instead of PVC at this point.

cccapt: To answer your question. Yes, I built the 90gal. aquarium from acrylic. I drilled the holes into the bottom using circle bits for my drill. I made the stand primarily using 2X4's and MDF. So, the tank is reef ready. I think I did a great job on it with the exception of this plumbing issue.

I took the bulkhead fittings with me to lowes to purchase tubing and the 3/4ID tubing worked fine for the 3/4 bulkhead. However, the 1" bulkhead required 1-1/4"ID tubing. Go figure that.

The Ball Valves were going to be used to control the flow, but I think I will leave it wide open and see where I am. I have a 2 pumps.....(quiet 1 2200 and rio 2500) which would be better to run my return line?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Quote:
I drilled the holes into the bottom using circle bits for my drill.
So you just have the bulkhead thru the bottom? You tank is drilled, but not Reef Ready. Reef Ready are pre-drilled and have overflow towers built into them.
Is there an overflow or are you planning on building a Durso?
Quote:
I have a 2 pumps.....(quiet 1 2200 and rio 2500) which would be better to run my return line?
I have both a QO and RIO and I like the QO better. The QO runs almost silent and the RIO I have is pretty loud, but it's the needlewheel version of the 2500 (not sure if that would make any diff tho).
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

cccapt: the tank is certainly reef ready. the overflow tower is in place. the drain holes are behind the overflow tower and in the bottom of the tank. I am a novice but I'm not that new. LOL

I am almost complete with the tank setup. When I'm done, I will try to post some pics. It has been a long process (especially working with the acrylic) but it is almost at an end.

thanks for your help concerning the pumps. I will return the Rio Pump tomorrow and keep the QO......
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Sounds good. I didn't know you can buy the overflow towers seperate.

Looking forward to some pics.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks....it looks good. I just hope it works as well as it looks....

by the way: I didn't by the overflow tower. they were also made from acrylic. everything about the main tank was done by my own hands. the tank is clear 1" thick acrylic and the overflow tower was made from 1/2" black acrylic. put together by weld-on#3....

Tags
plumbing, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com