Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
PVC plumbing

I'm plumbing a tank now and i was wondering is the purple PVC primer bad for the fish? The glue says its good for pottable water but i didn't see anything like that on the primer. I'm sure they would put on the bottle a giant warning if the primer could effect your water so people didn't poisin them selves but i just wanna double check

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
oops just realized i posted in the wrong section on accident. Can a mod move this thread to the DIY section?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Done! It could go in either one.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The purple primer is fine to use. Same with the glue. It's all safe once it's dried.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Correct, just make sure that it is dried before you use it. Rinse the plumbing out before use also.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a question: I just completed a new build. I made a 90 gallon acrylic tank, 30 gallon acrylic sump, the stand and the canopy. I am now in the process of doing my plumbing and I am totally lost. The output of my tank uses a 1inch bulk head and the input uses a 3/4 bulkhead. Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to connect PVC pipes to this and my pumps.

Also, I am considering using a pump (quite 1 2200) to draw the water out of my main tank and a pump (rio 2500) to push the water back into the main tank. Does anyone have any problems or concerns about doing this. Looking for opinions.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeyofb View Post
I have a question: I just completed a new build. I made a 90 gallon acrylic tank, 30 gallon acrylic sump, the stand and the canopy. I am now in the process of doing my plumbing and I am totally lost. The output of my tank uses a 1inch bulk head and the input uses a 3/4 bulkhead. Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to connect PVC pipes to this and my pumps.

Also, I am considering using a pump (quite 1 2200) to draw the water out of my main tank and a pump (rio 2500) to push the water back into the main tank. Does anyone have any problems or concerns about doing this. Looking for opinions.
Usually a new thread should be started with a seperate question not related to the original post but since the original question has been answered in this thread Ill take a stabb at this one.

Now I am assuming you are reffering to pre-drilled bulkheads on the main display and not the bulkhead fittings on the sump

The 1" output on the tank is the drain line I would assume and the 3/4" is the return line. You only need one pump that is to pump water from your sump back into your tank (3/4") the 1" drain line will be gravity fed so no pump is needed. The plumbing for the drain line is pretty simple just go to the hardware store and get some 1" PVC elbows and piping and just map it out cut the pipe to the size you want it and use the elbows to direct the direction of the pipe. After its built use basic PVC glue to hold it together (its not toxic if you let it dry to a solid state before use)

The return line is a bit more tricky. I don't know your exact setup but you want no retrictions on this line (Hard PVC elbows restrict flow) I use vinyl tubing. Just need a couple adapters to connect your pump to 3/4" vinyl tubing and then connect it to your 3/4" bulkhead to flow into your tank. Do you have locline plumbing for the flow directors already?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeyofb View Post
You do not need a pump to draw water out of the tank. The return pump will force the water in the tank to flow back into the sump via the 1" drain line.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, I would like to thank you all for your replies. I am new to this forum community. So, I am un-aware of where I should be posting...

Now, I know I don't need a pump on the drain side, but I was considering placing one there because I wanted to make sure that my flow rate was fast and I can turn over a lot of water. Are there any downsides to placing a pump on the drain side?

Another question: what is "Do you have locline plumbing for the flow directors already?" locline plumbing?

Also, I am confused on the size tubing I need for my lines. My drain line is 1" and my return line is 3/4". So, what size tubing would I need?

Also, I planned on placing ball valves on my lines? What is the benefit or downside to doing so?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The drain line will drain what is pumped into the tank(to an extent) the drain has to match up with the return pump. if you add a pump on the drain you can't really manage it the odds of it overpumping from your main display are great and you could possibly get a siphon that could drain the entire tank causing disaster.

Locline plumbing is the stuff a lot of people use to direct the flow into the tank here is a photo of mine. Increased flow causing overflow issue its not available locally for me so I ordered online from glass holes.com for $35 they shipped me the return line already setup with the locline plumbing on it a bit spendy but I didn't want to deal with it at the time.

The drain line should be larger than your return line so 1" drain and 3/4" return should be fine depending on how large of a pump you have a 1" drain line will handle about 600gph more than that and you need a bigger drain line

Ball valves are good to have incase you want to stop the flow right away. I have never used the ball-valve on my drain line the ball-valve on the return line I used at first to slow the flow a bit but now its all the way open and I don't use it at all.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com