Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

PWC system

I don't like buckets! But I do like my fish, and they like PWC's. Necessity is the mother of invention, they say, so this is the "schematic" drawing of my nifty little PWC system. I have it connected to two 10G and one 55G FW tanks. with this system I have been doing 2 - 3 "deep" water changes (probably about 30%-50%) of the tanks EVERY DAY (because I had a nitrate problem..seems to be under control, now) and NO BUCKETS REQUIRED! I am really pleased with this system. I'm sure there are better ways out there to do this, but I made this one up myself. DO ya like it? And questions/ Suggestions?

I change water so often in my tanks now, because it is so easy, that my fish all think they live in tidal pools!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic-for-PWC-system.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	47709  

Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's pretty neat. I'm still lugging buckets since I'm in an apartment.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you could do something like this in an apartment, with an indoor tank as a reservoir. I would just be concerned with the strength of the floor if you were in an upstair apartment?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great idea. Can really be personalized, also.

You could even automate this set up with some sensors and a controller.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

So looking at your set up it seems overly complicated (unless i' looking at it wrong). If all tanks are plumbed together, just put a t-valve in that you turn off water coming from tanks to drain. Then have a valve that you turn to fill it. That may be what you are saying but your drawing seems more involved. Is this for fw? Sw has been doing thins for years. I use to have 2 400g tanks that I could change water in both tanks in under 10 min.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey I like that set-up.. I need to take that into consideration when I set up my 2 tanks in the basement, I think I could make that work
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
So looking at your set up it seems overly complicated (unless i' looking at it wrong). If all tanks are plumbed together, just put a t-valve in that you turn off water coming from tanks to drain. Then have a valve that you turn to fill it. That may be what you are saying but your drawing seems more involved. Is this for fw? Sw has been doing thins for years. I use to have 2 400g tanks that I could change water in both tanks in under 10 min.
Well....this is all new to me. I just kind of figured it out as I went along. The principal is simple....to be sure..but it took some head scratching to figure out how to implement it....
Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Hey I like that set-up.. I need to take that into consideration when I set up my 2 tanks in the basement, I think I could make that work
That's cool! It sure works for me!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does anyone have any links on where I can look at other options/ideas for water changes?

I don't like the bucket thing myself, and need some form of easier system.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got a regular siphon hose from my lfs and bought 50 foot of extra tubing from the hardware store, put the tubing on the siphon and run it out the front door. Bought a 50 foot water hose and hooked it up to the kitchen sink, ran it to the tanks. I drain the tanks and fill em back up. What use to take me HOURS with buckets now takes half an hour. Cheap and easy, can't get much better than that!

Tags
pwc, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com