question about a siphon break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pvc line running into my tank with a sponge filter on the end(as seen in pic) my question is, if i drill a hole where the orange dot is, that will be sufficient for a siphon break right?

img_1167073_0_cbb8f62f53365d166dfd12f8bef5f9b2.jpg

Is this for s sump or canister?

If it is for a canister you don't want or need a siphon break.

If it is for a sump that will not work as an overflow but simply drain the tank down to the intake (or siphon break home).

You will need to check the hole regularly to keep algae, snails or other debris from clogging it. Is this a DIY overflow??

Then you shouldn't need a siphon break, is this just a worst case scenario to prevent half the tank from draining if the canister leaks?

The only problem I see is that if it is too close to the surface it can pull air in even when there are no problems and that could end up breaking your siphon when you don't want it to.

yes, it would be a "just in case" for peace of mind. so what move it down a few inches?

I would have it low enough that it would not cause problems when you have evaporation but high enough to make a difference if the worst case happened.

Unfortunately it is hard to say where it should be exactly. Stronger flow will pull air in from deeper in the water. But the lower the hole the more water you could lose in that worst case situation. I think 1-1.5" should be good enough.

Back
Top Bottom