Question about DIY caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan on making a cave system in my tank before I move and I was wondering how long the silicon is supposed to cure and also what other precautions do I need to take when using the glue (other than be careful I don't get my fingers stuck!)

Is there any brand that is the best/most for the money. I have a feeling I will use a lot of it, and im on a small-ish budget.

Thanks in advance

I was going to use Selleys Glass Silicone i saw it in the hardware and it siad it was aquarium safe. I forget how long you hard to let it cure and im pretty sure you had to wash it or soak it or something. I looked of their website but they don't tell you much. Heres a forum i found with a big topic on glue that might be better at helping you http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/advice-for-re-appling-silicon-vt5012.html

What materials are you going to use for the caves? I happen to love feller stone and pagoda rock...they make the most wonderful caves and tunnels! Slate is also good but you would need a lot of glue to keep it balanced.

I made my caves using pvc and little river rocks. It took a few hours to make the two caves. I got silicone from the hardware store that said for aquariums in huge letters ( I don't remember the brand) but it said to let it dry for 48 hrs. There is a pic of one of the cave in my gallery.

I planned on using PVC pipe and coating it in gravel. Jchillen, how expensive is what you mentioned and do you have/know of any pictures of it?

I've used DAP Aquarium Silicone (at HD) and super glue. When using silicone, spread your layers with an old credit card or similar material, and you can get nice coverage while keeping the stuff off your fingers. Don't forget to do the front and inner entry part to so it doesn't look like pipe. I used many layers on the outside, with only a few minutes (maybe 10) between layers. Total curing time for DAP says 24 hours iirc, but I waited longer (until it stopped smelling). Super glue can be used much quicker. I think caves looks nicest when used with the tank substrate, fwiw. Here's an old pic.

ottos,%20moss%20ball,%20kuhli%20cave.jpg

What, you haven't seen my tank pics? Well, here's one:

Forgive the cloudiness
newaquascape002.jpg

The one on the left is a combination of pagoda and feller and the right side is all feller.

I've seen those pix Jchillen =oP
Just wanted to make sure that is what you are talking about hehe

What I want to do is make a... stackable.. kinda.... cave system so I think the pvc might work better with my "vision" hehe

I know exactly what you're talking about which is why I suggested the feller stone. If you look at the stone in the center, they are feller and it's a smaller cave for the fish. They are quite stunning in their appearance. If you have any questions, just ask.

My "vision" is to take a piece of driftwood I have (its the middle, in the picture below) and make that the "frame" for the caves... and cover the caves with gravel and plants (the gravel thats in my tank now.. that pic is old from when i first got it).
Its not going to be in this position or anything.. its just a pic to show you the "frame" that im talking about-

img_411526_0_d12376ad776e17696725bdec1a47ddfc.jpg

I have used GE 100% silicone, it is the silicone thast has only one ingredient, VOC. I have used to make tanks, reseal them, repair things and anyhting else I needed with no ill effects. I made a small tank for baby swords out of it and never lost any.

As for a cave system, I would use the PVC and coat the entire thing with rock. If that is a lot more work than you want, try the pvc canvas with the rock although stacking it would be a real pain.

Always let the silicone dry until you can't smell it. that way it should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom