Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about Installing a 3d background

Hi

Searched but couldnt find an answer. Can you install a 3d background in a stocked established tank?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say you could, if you take the proper steps. Have it fully cured (ie test it in a bucket/bin for leaching first) and put it in during a major PWC/clean-up.

I'd push the substrate away from the back wall and use it to keep the base wedged in place and a plastic clip of some sort to keep the top in place. I wouldn't try to silicone it in place because the curing would take a while and until it's fully cured, it's dangerous to fish.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
I'd say you could, if you take the proper steps. Have it fully cured (ie test it in a bucket/bin for leaching first) and put it in during a major PWC/clean-up.

I'd push the substrate away from the back wall and use it to keep the base wedged in place and a plastic clip of some sort to keep the top in place. I wouldn't try to silicone it in place because the curing would take a while and until it's fully cured, it's dangerous to fish.
What about hot gluing it in place? Just the top half after doing a 50% PWC? then placing a rock in front for extra security and wedge the bottom under sand...

Has anyone tried it yet? I'm about to try it once I receive my background

Thx

Mike
Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No no no, if this is done with cement/concrete, then I would never put this in a stocked tank. After it has been cured, I would stick it in another tank, with a filter (a sump would work best), and run the tank with salt water for 2-3 days. Do a full water change, and repeat this step once or twice more. Then empty the tank, put fresh water back into the tank, and circulate it again for 2-3 days and repeat again. Then start using media bags from a previous fish tank and get your cycle going again (of course testing your tank water) before adding the little guys n girls. This could be very harmful to your fish if not done right.

--edit-- don't use hot glue, use GE 1 Silicone
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativJustin View Post
No no no, if this is done with cement/concrete, then I would never put this in a stocked tank. After it has been cured, I would stick it in another tank, with a filter (a sump would work best), and run the tank with salt water for 2-3 days. Do a full water change, and repeat this step once or twice more. Then empty the tank, put fresh water back into the tank, and circulate it again for 2-3 days and repeat again. Then start using media bags from a previous fish tank and get your cycle going again (of course testing your tank water) before adding the little guys n girls. This could be very harmful to your fish if not done right.

--edit-- don't use hot glue, use GE 1 Silicone
I thought hot glue was aquarium safe?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen this before. Google 3d backgrounds. If you can't find it, let me know.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I have seen this before. Google 3d backgrounds. If you can't find it, let me know.
seen what before? not sure what i'm looking for... can you link me? is there instructions to install a 3D background while the tank is setup and running?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I thought you meant a 3d background that is actually on the outside behind the tank. Basically a shadow box. But I see you mean one the intank structures. Is there water in the tank? If so the silcone will not be able to dry properly and is toxic until dry.
But if you are interested in the other background, I will find it.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
Well I thought you meant a 3d background that is actually on the outside behind the tank. Basically a shadow box. But I see you mean one the intank structures. Is there water in the tank? If so the silcone will not be able to dry properly and is toxic until dry.
But if you are interested in the other background, I will find it.
Amazon.com: 3D Background - Stone - 24" x 18": Home & Garden

this is the one im trying to install... it says to use silicone in the description, but since the tank is already setup and running i was wondering if i could just empty the water 50% and dry off the back then apply hot glue to the glass and the background and wedge it under the sand and prop a rock in front of it... will the hot glue dry the background to the glass ok? i really want to avoid taking everything down so i was hoping i could install it somehow without taking it all down...
Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is cool. When I set up my fw tank, I'm getting one. As far as hot glue, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it holds underwater.

Tags
3d background, background, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com