Question about removing outside trim on glass tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xcuter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im buying a new 150 gallon glass tank that has trim on top and bottom. I want to know if anyone has removed that trim before? I going to be making my own stand and canopy and i dont want the trim to show i want a more flush look. like on acrylic tanks. If anyone has done this please let me know is it safe and is it easy to do.

Well, the trims are there for more than just esthetic reasons. They are holding the tank together and preventing the tank from falling apart after you add 150 gallons of water. Under pressure, the joints will come loose and there is 99% chance that the front and/or rear pane will blow out. You are looking at, roughly, 1500 LBS of water if you make it a SW tank. So, no, you should NOT remove the trimming. Adjust your DIY stand and canopy to merely hide the trims if you really cannot live with the sight, or get an acrylic tank. :wink: Good luck.

8)

A good rule if thumb is that tanks that come with trim often have that trim factored into their manufacture/integrity, and it is not a good idea to remove it....and doing so will usually void your warranty.

Why not use a piece of 1/4 round or some other molding to but up against the glass after you set the tank in your stand. You can have the canopy drop down so you don't see the tank trim.

As has been suggested the trim is most likly part of the tanks structural integrety. Most of the glass tanks are simiply glass panels that have been syliconed together and require the top and bottom frames to hold the panel and the sylcon together. The outward force of 150 gals of water is going to be significant.

While you could possibly build the tank stand and canopy to include support like the top and bottom frame provide I dont think this will give you the look your wanting.

Honestly if you like the 'clean' look of the acrylic tanks your best bet is to get an acrylic tank. Otherwise I would just build a caonpy and stand that is large enough for the tank to sit down in a space where you dont see the frames. This will still cause the canopy and stand to be slightly larger in dimension than the tank but it can permit you to effectivly hide the frames in favor of the wood that you use for the stand and canopy.

Back
Top Bottom