Question DIY Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added my first DIY C02 to my planted tank last night.

Video can be found below (bad quality shot from Cellphone)

YouTube - DIY Co2 System

Question I have is I have my air line going into a PVC T in order to try and keep the Co2 bubble in the water longer.

I still am seeing the bubble travel up to the tank rather fast and was wondering if anyone had any idea what to put in to slow it down (help dissolve better).

Maybe something inside my T like a safe wool or something

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Welcome to AA!

Yes, a scrubby pad would help hold them in there longer. Some people create a kind of bell structure that will actually catch the bubbles and keep them from going to the surface to maximize the contact time with the water.

Thanks for the reply... That was my intention with the PVC but the bubbles are persistent and just travel along the length of the tube. I got some filter wool and will try that tonight.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Had another thought, what about putting in 45 degree elbows, pointing downwards, out of your PVC T. That would hold the CO2 and allow it more time in contact with the water.

Well it was a total bust.

The bubbles stayed in the tube with the filter moss (thin as could get it to go) until the bubble was big enough to push its way out then it went to the top of the tank and popped.

so back to the drawing board.

So it's not helping you get 100% dissolved, but if it is holding the bubbles in there longer it is helping.

What size tank is this in?

Alright

Do you measure your CO2 level? It's a simple calculation between your pH and kH to determine what ppm level your CO2 is. If you're achieving a good level, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Another option is to get a glass diffuser, but people have had mixed results with these and DIY setups.

A diffuser ladder is another choice, but they're bulky and an eyesore IMO, but they do work well to get better diffusion.

It's difficult to get to 100% diffusion, and it's also not fully necessary if you're obtaining good levels of CO2. It may be that you're doing ok already.

You may need to make the jump to some kind of CO2 reactor - instead of trapping the CO2 and letting it dissolve, you set up a system that actively churns the bubbles within the water.

This site helped me set up my DIY CO2 setup: DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium
Under "Construction Projects", one of the last items is a DIY Powered CO2 Forced Reactor - the design is such that water is sucked in through a (foam covered) inlet valve and forced out the bottom, where it mixes with your CO2 before passing back into the tank. I haven't built one yet, but as it doubles as a filter for up to 30g and (supposedly) costs around $35, it seems like it would be a great investment for any small planted tank.

Thanks for all the help I have some more reading to do.

What is the formula for measuring the CO2 levels.

Back
Top Bottom