[Question] DIY Overflow Siphon Keeps Stopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqheart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I made a pvc overflow following this popular web design Aquariumlife.net - Page not found

I included the check valve and tubing. However, every day the siphon will break for some reason and I have to suck air out of the tube to restart it. I've made a smaller one before and it worked with no problems. Any idea why this is happening? thanks

Link doesn't work.

Can only come down to two things. One the joints are not air tight or you are sucking in air. Make sure all joints are glued up good, lower intake further below water line, and limit bubbles within the tank. I prefer bending tube to use as overflows so you eliminate any joint issues. If you have strong enough flow through the overflow any bubbles will be purged when functioning. Another option is modify it like some overflows to be used with a powhead venturi or aqualifter pump.

+1 ^ id say easiest fix would be run the air tube from a PH into the top of your siphon to pull any bubble build up out and keep the siphon

I think you should try and get it working properly and eliminate the breaks and then add the aqualifter. You don't want something with a problem to get worse. It's just a band aid that will rip off. We need to see some pictures and get some specs.

Back
Top Bottom