Question for building stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm building a stand for my 36g bowfront and I want to build it like I saw on another forum. My only problem is that my woodworking skills are limited(I've built all my stands so far, just standard rectangle shape though). With the design used, horizontal support(for the frame) is added by multiple angled boards. How do you attach the angled boards to the main frame? Do you just use glue, can you simply put a screw straight through the angle? Do you have to put a screw in at an angle? Circled is what I am talking about.
Instead of the angled boards, could you just use 2 horizontal boards at the top/bottom for each section?

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 64
First of all predrill your holes with a 5mm drill bit. Then run a bit of glue between the wooden boards being screwed and screw together.

What I mean is keep it a rectangle shape and just allow greater depth for the "bowed" part of the tank that way you can still have bench place to put bits and pieces on when you're using them.

You can predrill, then fasten right through angle pieces, always use premium wood glue.. the angle bracing cam be supplemented by a 3/8 plywood wrap as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I will just do 2 horizontal boards in lieu for the 1 slanted board. That plus the plywood skinning should keep it from having any play right? Just predrill with a countersink bit. There wont be any shelving, I want to maximize sump space. As this is for saltwater

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom