Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats Sumphead! on the pending new baby!

I am by no means as experienced with sumphead on acrylics, but I have cut & shaped acrylics. First thing is that you need carbide tipped tools - and it has to be sharp. Non carbide cutters tends to generate too much heat & make a mess with melted blobs of stuff on the cut line. Feed rate is also important, feed too slow & the cut tend to melt & make a mess. Practice with scrapes to get a feel of your tool's response.

Final result depends a bit on the saw - how much vibration/wobble is there in the blade. But I find there is always slight machine marks on the edges with my saw, so I cut slightly oversized (1/16") & clean up the edge with a router. I use a Porter-cable with a 1/2" straight cut on my router table for that.

I've read about cleaning up the edges on the jointer too. But maybe because I don't have carbide blades on my jointer, the edges don't come out clean.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
OK baby and Momma are home, things are settling down, where do you want to start?

R-

(oh and thanks for the kind words)

Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

congrats! how many children do u have?

i am having a heck of a time locating a triple chip blade for my table saw. i will check ebay.

what size hole are u drilling for a 1" bulkhead fitting.
2ea Maxi-Jet 1200 & 2ea Maxi-Jet 900 PH
Captive Purity Refractometer w/Calibrator
LCD Digital 250 W Titanium Heater
48in Coralife 4x65 watt PC
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
Approx. 200lbs Sand (3-4" DSB)
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Please feel free to advise me!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is my 3rd and last I think. Boy 11, Girl 4, and lilman 1 week. thanks!

I see you are in Hawaii, Sears perhaps? Also if you are planning on using a router or jointer then the blade is of less importance, though you will have to allow a little extra on the cuts for clean-up. Solid square cuts are far more important than the cut itself.

jsoong, To avoid that wobble a little more use the 1/2" collet and a larger bit. That should help a great deal. As for your jointer not having carbide blades, that's OK too. The router gives a little better results but the jointer is fine*. It is more important to have square clean cuts than perfect edges. Also try Spiral cut router bits if you can find them, they make cleaner cuts that a strait flush trim bit.

*note on the jointer - A jointer will not make cuts sqaure, only clean edges as sqaure as the piece was to begin with.

Anything in particular you guys want to see? I'll try to get a pic of anything you like.

R-
Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
*note on the jointer - A jointer will not make cuts sqaure, only clean edges as sqaure as the piece was to begin with.
not sure which you were trying to say. A joiner will make the edge square to the face of the material, but will not make the length of the side square to the perpendicular sides. Was that what you were trying to say?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Exactly, but with a router and a router table with a fence you only need one square corner to make an evenly square piece. The long and the short of it is; the better your cut off the table saw the better the project.

R-

Tags
acrylic, hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com