Question on 3D Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I will be building a 3D background for my 75 soon and I'm just gathering supplies. I was wondering if I need any special type of styrofoam. I know some are denser than others and are cheaper.

Also, my local craft store,HD, and Lowes only have up to 2" thick. I need 3" for my ideas. Anyone know of any local places I can call? Would lumber places or like roofing places have it? Also, the styro at HD and Lowes I think is made for insulation...Wouldnt this have some type of chemical in it toxic to the fish?

One more question...
If I cant find 3", can I just silicon a 2 inch and a 1 inch together and then cut it up? I wanted to cut it into big individual pieces so I can put it together like a jigsaw, but would that work??

TIA!!
-Dan

Not to sound rude but it didn't really answer all of my questions. I've read just about every DIY backround thread on this website and cichlid-forum. Although it did help my decision on the type of styro. The pink styro looks cheap to work with so I think I'll go with the regular white, but I'm not sure on the density.
So thank you malkore for your effort!!! :wink:

So to post my question that wasnt answered:

If I cant find 3" thick, can I just silicon a 2 inch and a 1 inch together, wait for it to cure and then cut it up? I wanted to cut it into big individual (rock) pieces so I can put it together like a jigsaw, but would that work??

I appreciate the help as always
-Dan

Well I plan on using the GE Silicone I. I've read about many people who have used it for many years and it's worked wonders. Even read a whole 17 page thread on the stuff. It should be fine. Thanks though!

-Dan

Sorry, I thought that post I supplied talked about siliconing the sheets of styrofoam together, which is indeed what you'd do. Just be sure you use aquarium safe silicone.

Back
Top Bottom