question on Coralife Retrofit with canopy (pics would help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AoiGSR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Japan (Ok not really) Southern California :)
Hello,

I have searched everywhere on this site, other forums, even google and got sick of trying to find this so I thought maybe I would just write up a topic.

I have a 40 gallon tank that I am getting ready to redo with plants again. My CF ballast had gone out so I purchased a Coralife Retrofit and want to mount it in the canopy.

The canopy is open on the back. I have glass on top of the tank as well. I will want to mount moon light LEDS (was told not to put near the reflector (not DIY system but ones that I purchased) as well.

I was told I can mount the retrofit in the center of the canopy as the best location. The light amount is 96W. I will have a CO2 pressurized system in there as well.

Is there a place people recommend to mount the ballast? (looks like a huge ac adapter for a laptop but much lighter).

Hopefully I provided enough information :)

-AoiGSR :D

You could mount the ballest in the hood, or on the back of your stand, or just about anywhere it will reach...

yeah Coralife gave a long enough cord I could probably mount it underneath the stand (the one with cabinets). I was trying to find members who might have pictures of their canopy retrofit mounting locations just to give me an idea :)

I think I am just afraid to mount it in the center and wasn't sure if there a strategic spot for the ballast (should I decide to get 50 retrofits and ballasts.. okay not that much unless I want algae city).

I dont have one to show, but I suggest mounting it somewhere other than the hood. No worry about splash and heat.

I'd agree with the revern on this one. At a minimum, mount it on the back, outside of the hood. Depending on your stand set up, underneath the tank, inside the stand would be fine as well. As always, be sure to leave a drip loop in any electrical wires you have hanging down from your tank.

okay 8) I'll do that then. I wanted to do it clean and the best way. I might want to use a cable management system too since I did that for computers in a suite we recently completed :D

Thanks for your suggestions :) Didn't want to do it the wrong way and mess up the canopy. the LFS said "just screw it on. it's pretty easy". It is but wanted to be sure :) The shop didn't have a sample but had others with MH, or CFs with the legs that are held on the sides of the tank.

Oh, anywone want to post pics of those installs, would be cool. Maybe I'll be the first after i do it :p

-AoiGSR

Back
Top Bottom