question on resealing large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dittmerj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive read the posts below on how to reseal a tank. ive never done one, just wondering how hard it is. i made a post already but it was in the wrong section. i bought a 300 gallon tank at an auction for $12.50. i figured it was a pretty good buy, and the glass is in good shape, just a few scratches on one corner where a turtle had been kept. it has one chip in on a corner, but it doesnt leak at all, it leaks somewhere else. should i do it myself or have someone else do it. if i do it myself, should i take it apart or just remove the caulk that i can see and apply new. the tank is deep enought to where i think i have to get inside of it to recaulk. it is about 80 long 36 high and 36 deep. im not sure what the actual gallons is, close to 300. any help would be great. and how much would you quote if i were to have a pro do it.

Your tank

Hi dittmerj, and welcome!

First, according to the build your own tank guidelines at garf.org, your tank is:
Material = Glass
Tank Height = 36"
Tank Width = 36"
Tank Length = 80 "
Glass Thickness = 1/2"
Approximate Gallons = 449!!!

That's a really big tank!

I resealed my 125 gallon, and it wasn't that bad. There's a sticky post in the DIY section, and I compiled all of that information into an article. My only concern is that that's an awfully big tank, so make sure you've got great silicone!

It is a glass tank, right? If it's acrylic, disregard anything I say.

Anybody out there an expert on silicone in VERY large tanks? I'd be curious to hear an answer on this one as well.

Good luck on your resealing! It should be a snap to do it yourself, just a little time consuming.

I would remove the old silicone bead from the inside of the tank with a razor blade. Then get some 100% pure clear silicone. Make sure it isn't the "Windows and doors" or the "Bathroom and shower" stuff. This has antifungal additives in it that you don't want in your tank. Then just carefully run a new bead of silicone anywhere the glass comes together. I'd try for at least 1/4" of coverage on each piece of glass. It's not hard to do and, if you have a leak anywhere, you can just cut out that part and reseal it. Try to keep your beads as neat as possible and make sure the corners are run together with no gaps or air bubbles.
FWIW, I came up with 449 gal as well.

Back
Top Bottom