Question regarding using old TV cabinet..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a cabinet TV, I have removed the TV from the cabinet. Several people have suggested that I convert the cabinet to a fish tank housing for my 15 gal tank. I know how to do this, it would be relatively easy, make a shelf with supports. But is it possible to make a strong enough shelf on casters or some kind of rollers as I imagine it would be a pain in the but to do cleanings if you couldn't roll the shelf out of the cabinet unit. Has anyone ever bothered to use a TV cabinet as a fish tank housing? Thoughts on whether it is worth it or just a pain in the ass?

I will post pics of the cabinet later. It's at work and I need a truck to bring it home.

A picture would help. Once concern I have is that when rolling the tank out, the weight may be enough to shear off the shelf and its supports. What size TV was the cabinet meant to support. Another thing that comes to mind is that once you slide out the tank (if I understand your proposal correctly) the cabinet may become top heavy and tip over onto you. At an average 10lbs per gallon, you are looking at 150lbs or 68 kilograms for the full tank.

Its possible, but would require some fair bit of work and hardware to be stable....better to simply cut off and hinge the top of the cabinet, I would think. There are hundreds of people that have done this with up to 20 gallon tanks...I would look and ask around online, as someone with experience is sure to be able to give you some good tips and or plans.

Toirtis said:
Its possible, but would require some fair bit of work and hardware to be stable....better to simply cut off and hinge the top of the cabinet, I would think. There are hundreds of people that have done this with up to 20 gallon tanks...I would look and ask around online, as someone with experience is sure to be able to give you some good tips and or plans.

Now that is a good idea! See that is why I am addicted to this place!

Back
Top Bottom