Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Question regarding using old TV cabinet..........

I have a cabinet TV, I have removed the TV from the cabinet. Several people have suggested that I convert the cabinet to a fish tank housing for my 15 gal tank. I know how to do this, it would be relatively easy, make a shelf with supports. But is it possible to make a strong enough shelf on casters or some kind of rollers as I imagine it would be a pain in the but to do cleanings if you couldn't roll the shelf out of the cabinet unit. Has anyone ever bothered to use a TV cabinet as a fish tank housing? Thoughts on whether it is worth it or just a pain in the ***?

I will post pics of the cabinet later. It's at work and I need a truck to bring it home.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A picture would help. Once concern I have is that when rolling the tank out, the weight may be enough to shear off the shelf and its supports. What size TV was the cabinet meant to support. Another thing that comes to mind is that once you slide out the tank (if I understand your proposal correctly) the cabinet may become top heavy and tip over onto you. At an average 10lbs per gallon, you are looking at 150lbs or 68 kilograms for the full tank.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Its possible, but would require some fair bit of work and hardware to be stable....better to simply cut off and hinge the top of the cabinet, I would think. There are hundreds of people that have done this with up to 20 gallon tanks...I would look and ask around online, as someone with experience is sure to be able to give you some good tips and or plans.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Its possible, but would require some fair bit of work and hardware to be stable....better to simply cut off and hinge the top of the cabinet, I would think. There are hundreds of people that have done this with up to 20 gallon tanks...I would look and ask around online, as someone with experience is sure to be able to give you some good tips and or plans.
Now that is a good idea! See that is why I am addicted to this place!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com