Questions about DIY wet/dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after finally having enough of my hob filter for my 55 gal making horrible noises from sucking up sand in the middle of the night. I have decided to venture into the wet/dry sump. I am really enjoy building things and designing things. However I have the feeling making a sump will be a little harder than building my computer. So before i get myself into this i have some questions.

How big will it need to be? I am considering getting a 29gal to replace my 20 gal tank. Would a 20 gal work? I would rather go out and buy a cheap 10 gal tank then use my 20 gal. I would like to use the 20 gal later.

What tools will I need? My dad has a drill, we have saws and well I'm not really sure what else. We just don't have the best of power tools...

Does Anybody have a good DIY wet/dry sump instructions. As well as a overflow.

What kind of pump will I need? I am asuming i couldn't use the one from my current HOB filter.

Thanks for you help!
Any advice is wanted.

All about sumps:
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
also follow the links in this page to get all sorts of details - look for a series of articles from Reefkeeping Magazine at the bottom - most informative.... and look at the rest of the site as well.

A DIY overflow plan:
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

A DIY drilled tank:
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiytank/bndiytank.htm

DIY sumps need not be difficult (esp. if you are creative & use rubbermaid tubs rather than custom build acrylics.) It is easier than building a computer --- You don't have to deal with Windows or Microsoft!! :D

A drill & Dremel is kinda the minimum tools you need .... but if you are getting into fancy acrylic fabrication, then table saw, router, tourch for bending, and all sorts of clamps & jigs comes into play.

Size of sump - bigger the better .... I'd go for the biggest container that will fit the space you have. You'll need a new water pump for the return (the HOB pump is too puny to do the job).

thanks for the help!
I am about to throw my filter against the wall. I cleaned everything out and i could still here it down the hall from my room :evil:
I think i will go with the rubbermaid container they are pretty cheap I can proabably fit a 30 gallon under my tank so that should be a good size. I will post my plans tomorrow probably. :D

i was kinda suprised to find that 30 gal storage tubs were about 50 dollars. I mean they are just plastic.... :roll:
well any way i like the way glass/arcylic sumps look how you can see everything in them. Well any way i will start working on the lay out

Japola44 said:
i was kinda suprised to find that 30 gal storage tubs were about 50 dollars. I mean they are just plastic.... :roll:
well any way i like the way glass/arcylic sumps look how you can see everything in them. Well any way i will start working on the lay out

You should shop around - I found my 30 gal tub in the hardware section (it's a tool storage box) for $10. Clear rubermaid tubs goes for 20-30.

OTOH acrylics do look nice, & more flexible in your size, compartments, etc. I have to warn you that a sheet of 1/4" acrylic runs over $100 for the cheap stuff & double that for the good kind.

I have to warn you that a sheet of 1/4" acrylic runs over $100 for the cheap stuff & double that for the good kind.
Wow really? I thought they were pretty cheap at least from what i read. I will go to the hardware store to look around at prices for acrilics and storage bins. If i used a rubber bin how could i make compartments

Our local HD don't even stock 1/4" acrylics .... and the 1/8" goes for $60 a half sheet (4x4). :(

I made compartments by having smaller bins inside the big bins. If needed, you can attach the bins together with nylon/plastic nuts & bolts (above the water line so no chance of leaking). I supposed you could also try siliconing baffles & such inside but i am not sure how strong that will be, so will only do that in non-critical applications.

I found instructions off google for one where you use those rubbermaid/sterilite plastic shelves and drill holes through the bottom to make it more like a trickle filter and you just put different medias in the different drawers. The you set it in a tub and have the tub hold the excess water along wih a pump to put it back into the tank.

It seems pretty do able. Just not to pleasing to the eye. I have to place the sump outside the stand, because i am using a dresser as the stand. :?

For a visible sump, acrylics is prob better looking .... although if you can find a funky tub that will fit in with your decor, it might work too.

Someone here (TomK or cz) has very similar setup of exposed sump. He used a regular fish tank for the sump, and planted it (plus a few shrimps) to make it look nice. You could divide up a tank so you can have a nice looking planted fuge in the front, to hide the compartments in the back for your biomedia, pump, heater, etc. .... just a thought .....

Yea thats what i was thinking originaly, but im not likely to find a good sized cheap aquarium. So i don't know. I like the idea of a sump because it probably filters a lot better than a canister and for sure better than a HOB. I might have to come back to this during the summer when i'm not in school. I might go with a canister that i can use on a 30 or 40 gal, for after i make the sump. I got a pretty good idea to use the Plastic drawers and divid them in half to make different medias. Leave the bottom shelf empty, and put the pump in there. The only problem is having a resivor for excess water when there is a power outage. I just need to figure out how much water will be put in before the siphon in the over flow breaks...I hope to do this in the summer. I am also hoping to convence my parents to keep my 55gal running after i leave for college, but thats another story.

Back
Top Bottom