quick question re aquarium-safe glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
do they exist, and can they be used with rocks to combine them to create cave-like fixtures?

or is there something better to keep them firmly in place?

I live in Sydney, Australia (in terms of what brand of glues you might know of that are available locally)

thanks!

do they exist, and can they be used with rocks to combine them to create cave-like fixtures?

or is there something better to keep them firmly in place?

I live in Sydney, Australia (in terms of what brand of glues you might know of that are available locally)

thanks!

Can't speak for Australia, but over here we have aquarium safe silicone. I would think it would be available worldwide on the web if nothing else. Also any 100% silicone will work as well - just make sure its 100%.

If you have it available use GE Type I 100% pure silicone or some other similar product. Make sure it has no mildew inhibitors or coloring as these are oftem harmful to the fish. One thing though, the rock has to be completely dry for it to work.

I have heard of other products you can use, even under water, but have no experience with them.

Krazy Glue gel you can use right underwater. Put a little on and put it where ever you want. Good thing with the gel for the most part it's not permanent. If give a little tug it will come loose.

Selleys make an aquarium safe silicone you can get at any bunnings its called glass and has an aquarium sub heading you can even get lillte metal tubes from big W and you dont need a glue gun for them ao might be a little more convienient

thanks guys. appreciate the help. i've just got a few rocks i'd like to try and glue together so they make a cave. i'll check out the aquarium-safe silicone at bunnings...but what are the Big W ones you speak of mate? that sounds a lot easier. Lillte metal tubes? i'm not 100% i understand you correctly

The most secure way would be to drill and use plastic dowels along with small amount of gel super glue. You can still get it apart fairly easy if you want, and you can make some very cool cave & ledge overhangs.

Its still made by selleys its just a smaller tube that you can squeeze instead of having to put it in a gluegun you can probably get that from bunnings too i just happened to get mine from big w just

oh my goodness, thank you guys so much...so helpful :) :)

I really appreciate all your help!!

once I get it up I'll post a pic, and yes I do like the idea of drilling with plastic dowels too, which would probably be safer and more secure also.

sweet!

Back
Top Bottom