Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

quick question re aquarium-safe glue

do they exist, and can they be used with rocks to combine them to create cave-like fixtures?

or is there something better to keep them firmly in place?

I live in Sydney, Australia (in terms of what brand of glues you might know of that are available locally)

thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by themox View Post
do they exist, and can they be used with rocks to combine them to create cave-like fixtures?

or is there something better to keep them firmly in place?

I live in Sydney, Australia (in terms of what brand of glues you might know of that are available locally)

thanks!
Can't speak for Australia, but over here we have aquarium safe silicone. I would think it would be available worldwide on the web if nothing else. Also any 100% silicone will work as well - just make sure its 100%.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks mate. will have a look at some!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

If you have it available use GE Type I 100% pure silicone or some other similar product. Make sure it has no mildew inhibitors or coloring as these are oftem harmful to the fish. One thing though, the rock has to be completely dry for it to work.

I have heard of other products you can use, even under water, but have no experience with them.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Krazy Glue gel you can use right underwater. Put a little on and put it where ever you want. Good thing with the gel for the most part it's not permanent. If give a little tug it will come loose.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Selleys make an aquarium safe silicone you can get at any bunnings its called glass and has an aquarium sub heading you can even get lillte metal tubes from big W and you dont need a glue gun for them ao might be a little more convienient
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks guys. appreciate the help. i've just got a few rocks i'd like to try and glue together so they make a cave. i'll check out the aquarium-safe silicone at bunnings...but what are the Big W ones you speak of mate? that sounds a lot easier. Lillte metal tubes? i'm not 100% i understand you correctly
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Super glue!! Usually comes in small tubes, and works great

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The most secure way would be to drill and use plastic dowels along with small amount of gel super glue. You can still get it apart fairly easy if you want, and you can make some very cool cave & ledge overhangs.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its still made by selleys its just a smaller tube that you can squeeze instead of having to put it in a gluegun you can probably get that from bunnings too i just happened to get mine from big w just

Tags
glue, ick, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com