Quieter filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the marineland biowheel 200b filter, and it isgreat, but its in my room and somewhat noise when I'm trying to sleep. It's the water splashing into the tank.. Anyone have a some ideas on icing a sponge or something I quiet it up??

If its the splashing, then adding an extension to the overflow lip might help. Easy and inexpensive.

Below are some pics for the lip extension for an Aqua Clear 50 ( though it can be applied to most any HOB). You'll need sturdy scissors, pliers, and the plastic strip found on most glass hinged tops. Most LFS sell it separately in the lighting supply section. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. You cut the strip to the width of the HOB spillway. You want to make two bends (heat helps make the plastic more pliable):
#1. Bend the section of the strip that has the part that grips the glass hood downward about 45 degrees.
#2. Bend the strip lengthwise along the middle about 45 degrees upward.

Next, use pliers to pinch the part that grips the glass hood in one or two areas. Do not apply too much force. This will allow the lip extension to grip the HOB spillway and not fall into your tank.
You will have to adjust the angle of the bends and see what works best with your water level.

Attachments

• image-3435679267.jpg
    image-3435679267.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 217
  • image-1560621578.jpg
    image-1560621578.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2474161173.jpg
    image-2474161173.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3008322178.jpg
    image-3008322178.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 165
Thanks! I'll try it! So question about filters in genral, can the fish swim in to it and get hurt?

I like the splashing sound, its soothing, calming, like those little fungshooway (i just butchered the spelling there) things my mom likes. But if you want is gone, then add more water to the tank and be done with it.

I like the splashing sound, its soothing, calming, like those little fungshooway (i just butchered the spelling there) things my mom likes. But if you want is gone, then add more water to the tank and be done with it.

Yes, that should have been the obvious thing to do. :)
I was running a Aqua Clear and an Emperor in the same tank and the distance from the spillway lip to water surface was different by 3/4"-1"...I couldn't raise the water level high enough for the Aqua Clear

Thanks! I'll try it! So question about filters in genral, can the fish swim in to it and get hurt?

If you are referring to HOBs, then Yes and not sure. Some loaches and other fast swimming fish can swim up the spillway or jump into the HOB. Whether they stay there depends on the flow rate an available space in the HOB. They might get trapped there and become exhausted from fighting the current.

Thanks! And L.t I already thought if filling it more! And I actually got it to the point if we're it was nearly silent! But I came home from dinner and the whole hood and the wall near it had water on it! It's because of the little opening by the mouth of the filter, it splashes up

Ok. Ol well, try extending the little thingamajigger like the others said then. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom