Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sulla
Rain Forest Lighting

I have been thinking about lighting lately and I have an interesting idea. For lights I have a couple of 96watt compact floresents http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm. Since these are rather bright with the special reflector I have been thinking of putting a piece of plexiglass in the hood between the tank and the light. Then painting the top of the plexiglass so that I get a lighting pattern like the sun comming thru trees. I can paint some parts of it black some part different transparencies of green, yellow etc. I wonder if could get the kind of look where you have "beams" of sunling coming into the water? The tank it would be used in is http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...er=asc&start=0 or will be if I ever get the thing done

Old 09-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a really interesting idea. I saw a cichild tank with just light in the middle and shadows on the side. That looked pretty cool. I don't know if it would work or not but keep us informed if you do it. Also the link doesn't work for me.

I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK the link should work now. I think I will go ahead and try it as it will not cost much to do and be easy to make. If it turns out good I will make sure I share it with every one
Old 09-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Sounds really cool!
Dont forget to post pics if it works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I've heard it is really difficult to get the "beam" or "ripple" effect from PC lights. Mostly because the light source is over such a large area. If you want beams or ripple you need to go with a single-point light source, such as Metal Halide. You can put two over your tank, one over each half, and you'll get a nice ripple effect cast onto your tank bottom. The beams your looking for, however, only appear with stuff suspended in the water column. (like dust in the air) so those may prove to be rather elusive. If you consider the MH approach, keep heat in mind. The bulbs can be VERY hot, but it will be like having the sun sitting over your tank.

My only concern on painting a shadow would be how the colors would affect the over all lighting in the tank. Do you think it would end up just tinting your tank green?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

8O 8O OH OH OH! 8O I have a great idea that's way too complicated to impliment but I thought I'd share it anyway!

Make a shallow plexiglass tray, say 1 inch deep. Fill it with 1/2" of water. Place a dozen or so plastic leaf shaped cut-outs in it. Put a very small powerhead on each end of the tray to push the water and leaves around. Put this tray over your tank, under the lights, and you get moving shadows I know, way too complicated but I think it would add a authentic rainforest ambiance to your tank. Especially if you went with MH lighting.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your right being able to see the beem would be there are particles in the water. But I think I could get the beam to showup on the background maybe or on the bottom of the tank. I dont really want to go to MH becouse I dont need that much light, cost and heat. But I wonder if I just use some bright LED bulbs or some kind like http://www.theledlight.com/? Also on the coloring of the tank with from the light filtering panel I think it would look ok I am not going to paint the entire thing green just spots like a leaf.

Also billy I have thought about something like you mentioned. Exept maybe have tranparent disks painted and attached to small DC motors with reduction drives say modified servos (hmm I have some of those and the disks had turn slowly and overlap so it look like leaves moving on the water and in the trees hmm.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com