Rain water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I came up with this brilliant idea to use rain water in my tanks so I had 2 5 gallon water jugs and cut the bottoms out of 2 regular jugs and used them as a funnel now their out and it stopped raining fml

I it's storming where I live in Kansas and I figured I would use rain water for evaporation water and I got my 2 5 gallon jugs outside with funnels an a couple of regular jugs an a 5 g bucket now that their out it stopped raining fml

Elmo1287 said:
I it's storming where I live in Kansas and I figured I would use rain water for evaporation water and I got my 2 5 gallon jugs outside with funnels an a couple of regular jugs an a 5 g bucket now that their out it stopped raining fml

I'd be very wary about using rain water for a reef, think about the chemicals from our cars and such in the air that the rain has to fall thru, not to mention acid rain, if you were to do it I'd think about running it thru a rodi unit and even after that test it for as much as u can.

Elmo1287 said:
So I came up with this brilliant idea to use rain water in my tanks so I had 2 5 gallon water jugs and cut the bottoms out of 2 regular jugs and used them as a funnel now their out and it stopped raining fml

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Have you researched this at all?

Nope sure haven't but I was gonna test the water before I put it in my tanks

People drink it and cook with it cause where in a drought I was gonna test the water and it's way better then sink water

Elmo1287 said:
People drink it and cook with it cause where in a drought I was gonna test the water and it's way better then sink water

I can understand cooking with it cause I'm guessing it's being boiled which kills viruses, parasites and bacteria, drinking it straight from a jug out the garden could make u ill and cause you to spend alot of time sat on the toilet lol. But then I suppose where you live and how polluted the air is will play a part in how clean it is.
Let us know if you do try it, I'd like to see the results, if any. (y)

Well i didn't even get enough rain to do a good test but I live in the middle of know where Kansas so I didn't think it would get that polluted where I live and I was gonna boil and test the water before I put it into a tank

It may be better than tap water for humans, but not necessarily for fish. I agree with the others, I wouldn't do it.

Not quite sure how you'd test for pollutants with the API master kit unless there's a reagent I'm not aware of. ;)

Back
Top Bottom