Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ramps, Risers, and Plateaus

I made a DIY riser for my tank out of .22" acrylic. It has a curved front, a flat back, and I coated it with cork for aesthetics. I made it rise too steeply and the ramp wouldn't hold the substrate, so I have to redesign. I put a couple baffles perpendicular to the rise, but it still wasn't enough to hold the substrate and make a continuous rise without ripples. Are there any best practices or guidelines for slope or other parameters that make risers work well?

itafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few pics of what you are doing would definately help others come up with a solution.

The beautiful balance of nature is just everything running around eating each other.

My Tank pics - http://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/My%20Tank.htm
Plecosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think it's just a matter of making it less steep. Putting in the steps like you mentioned would only work if the steps are going to be large enough to be more like shelves, and then to poor a lot more substrate onto it then normal.
theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com