Re sealing second hand tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Craig, I'm certain it's volcanic. It's not chalky at all, very heavy. It had a couple of chips in it already and it's red rock wherever I see a chip. I'm cycling the tank ATM with the rock in it, and have used very soft (tested)water. If water hardness changes then that can be a good check. I guess?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds good :) Just curious (must get more)....

I just ate a chocolate covered, caramel inside Tim Tam.. Omg. I must get more..

We have tons of those rocks in and around the old volcano sites, especially around Utah & New Mexico, so they are economical here. I have about 5 small ones people have just given to me with misc. decos in tanks here that I have obtained. But never bought one, lol. Just like some other types of decorative rocks one person in a region spends lots of money for and others just pick them up off the ground!

Solid through and through of the reddish color some times colors of iron like dark grey, I have seen on vactions and road trips. Sometimes they are pretty light weight and more of the black ones weigh a ton (more iron???). The smallish ones sold with the holes are probably drilled into the stone but could be natural.

You can grow Anubias on that kind of stone, could use Java Fern too or African Water Fern as well. Local big box fish store sell that smaller version stone with hole with an Anubias growing on it.

Love that the fish can rest in the middle of the stone and peek out! Love stones with holes. lol

Last edited:
We have tons of those rocks in and around the old volcano sites, especially around Utah & New Mexico, so they are economical here.
Always the way lol! I did pick up some nice rocks off the beach retaining wall, but haven't used them (yet), as I love rocks with holes too, especially for a cichlid tank. When I saw this rock I was quoted $15 per kg.. It ended up being 6 kg, I paid $AU99 for it.. Yikes! (Hubby doesn't know)

But as you say ...
Love that the fish can rest in the middle of the stone and peek out! Love stones with holes. lol

You can grow Anubias on that kind of stone, could use Java Fern too or African Water Fern as well. Local big box fish store sell that smaller version stone with hole with an Anubias growing on it.

That's really great to know, thank you!

Here's how my tank is looking at the moment...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474154771.577957.jpg
Disregard the pouch of carbon in the front there, I chucked that in from another tank for the moment. I thought I could drop some bacteria down while I treated another tank for camallanus worms.. Stupid me didn't realise just how transferable they are from tank to tank, so I have to treat this one too. But that's another story.

Wow! What a price but it looks great!

You are in good company with errors (bag of carbon) in the tanks. Too much to remember! And being in a stress situation can cause tunnel vision - trying to hurry and fix something, missing a warning sign, etc. Been there too any times to count.

Thinking that the resealing job was a good one!

Wow! What a price but it looks great!

You are in good company with errors (bag of carbon) in the tanks. Too much to remember! And being in a stress situation can cause tunnel vision - trying to hurry and fix something, missing a warning sign, etc. Been there too any times to count.

Thinking that the resealing job was a good one!

Thank you Autumn!! I'm really happy with this tank.. A little longer then I can get my fishes ...

Back
Top Bottom