Re sealing second hand tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwakatoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So.. After watching a u-tube video, which made it look super easy.. I tried my hand at re sealing today. Omg.

It took a few days prep cleaning off the old silicone and using acetate and razors and stripping knives.. Then to put the tape on.. Took forever, only to find areas I had missed removing the old silicone..

All good right? Well.. I applied the silicone today. Gee it's hard to get the thickness right!! Then to smooth it before it starts curing! But I did it.

Yay, now for a week to cut then a super clean.. Then I'll have my biggest tank yet, which I know is small to most of you, but 58 liters is big to me :)

Pre seal
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472277508.862495.jpg

Post seal
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472277532.714086.jpg

The unattractive detail.. Not so smooth as when I pulled up the tape it left some ridges due to heavy thick layer of silicone, so attempts to smooth weren't great as it starts curing with an outside skin..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472277630.761003.jpg

But... So glad to have done this. The old silicone was definitely shrunken, mouldy and hardened

Looks good, what's planned for this one?

Lol, I have NO IDEA! Help!

Tank 1: guppies
Tank 2: (tiny tank) neon tetras
Tank 3: (19ltrs) - ? More guppies?
Tank4: 68 litres... Still too small for cichlids... :(

Need ideas :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

H
Some times you just have to bite the bullet and move around the fish. Plan ahead!

Blue Rams +++

Hi Autumn, sorry I don't understand your comment. Does the blue Rams +++ mean that my idea is ok? I'm definitely trying to plan ahead :)

You might need to change the fish you have now (or want to keep) to better size tank you already own.

Planning part (what I meant) is when you are going to do the changing fish from one tank to the other type planning. Changing tanks sometimes involves moving fish between 4 tanks not just switching 2 tanks.

Not all fish in one tank might be all going together to another tank - one group might go the the Ram tank and one fish might need to go with the Neons, and one type of fish to the tiny tank... To get the best fit & compatibility for all fish. That kind of planning and switching.

It is obvious you are planning ahead for your tank stock!

Blue Rams are great fish - good choice!

And great job recalking your tank by yourself!!!

Thanks Autumn!

I'm currently researching dwarf cichlids, and found my way over to shell dwellers.. In particular the Neolamprologus brichardi (Fairy cichlid) which likes high ph, which comes out of my tap that way, and numerous other things I think work for me.

Blue Rams are gorgeous, but water conditions will be harder to keep. Still working through it :)

Thanks Autumn!

I'm currently researching dwarf cichlids, and found my way over to shell dwellers.. In particular the Neolamprologus brichardi (Fairy cichlid) which likes high ph, which comes out of my tap that way, and numerous other things I think work for me.

Blue Rams are gorgeous, but water conditions will be harder to keep. Still working through it :)

Ah yes, the tap. Best to have peace of mind to keep what is best for your tap water.

Always can use RO/DI to cut the rock water - an option if you are wanting a challenge.

So I've been really busy with kids, work Etc and haven't been able to research what RO/DI is. I assume oxygen and injection might be part of the word equation.

I've also taken the tank to the next step of clean progress having scraped off the blue paint on the rear wall, and neatening up any silicone slips- and started washing the tank.

Next step. Figure out what fish I want, get substrate and background :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472864146.583786.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472864185.219693.jpg

Hey life is like that!

RO/DI - Reverse Osmosis / De-ionization

Thanks Autumn, I just researched what you said and I'm definitely not going to go that way! Not until I have a lotto win :)

In the meantime, would it be feasible to used the filtered water from out kitchen tap. It's a reasonable quality drinking water system, as follows, would this help to soften water?

When you guys talk about buffers in the water, is that referring to ph up or ph down, and is it ok to rely on that to get your water right? And just use tap water, not filtered? I already use tap water with QuickStart and stress coat when i add water to my existing tank, but that's a smaller tank ..

Here's the filtered water option:

STAGE 1 FILTER - Sediment Polyspun (5 Micron)

Dirt, Sand, Sediment and Organics Removal.
Dense layers of the poly spun filter provide more opportunity to collect and capture contaminants. This adsorbent pre filter can be used for mains water filters or reverse osmosis systems.

STAGE 2 FILTER - Matrikx PB1 (1 Micron)

Lead, chlorine, taste, odour and sediment reduction filter.
1 micron absolute filter for outstanding lead, chlorine, taste and odour reduction. Parasite, turbidity and cyst reduction, including Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Entamoeba and Toxoplasma (meets NSF/ANSI Standard 53).

Around here with our lfs, you can buy it in 5G containers for .50 per gallon. So to me that is reasonable for not having to set up your own system and upfront expense. Just an FYI.

Thanks Autumn, hadn't considered that. :)

So I want to build this tank for a pair of dwarf cichlids. My fish store seem to stock South Americans so I'm going for a darker look to the tank. Got some garnet sand today from the hardware store (sold as sand blasting sand - lol), how do you clean this stuff? Same as gravel? But won't the sand disperse with the water when washing in a bucket? Or that's the right approach, just be careful when swirling it around so as to not lose the sand?
feels like a silly question.

Also, I grabbed some cool rocks off the retention wall at the beach today and gave them a clean. How do I know if they'll be ok for my tank? My husband is a geologist, but he's no help! Lol

Or could these quarry type rocks be adding hardness to the water? I need softer water for blue rams as far as I know

Back
Top Bottom