Real & Virtual Aquarium - Rebuilt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to do a 20% water change today. And injected another bottle of bacterias. I didn't want to do a larger water change because I've the feeling that the cycle is nearly complete and there's a large water change coming in a few days because of the move.

The nitrites somehow climbed to around 0.8. But the tank is so heavily aerated (60 liters/hour - around 15 gallons) that maybe it's reducing the possibilities for intoxication, since the intoxication comes from nitrites blocking oxygen supply to the cells?

Imagine the scene...

I moved the 840 liters (aprox 200 gallons) tank from the museum into my office. I re-decorated it and the it was the most beautifull tank I've ever had. The fish looked hapier than ever and I left the office at 7 am and took the elevator home (I live 2 floors above my office).

I woke up in panic around 10:30 am. I knew the aquarium had cracked and the fish were all dying.

30 seconds later someone enters my apartment to tell me what I already knew (don't ask).

I ran down and found the office completly flooded, some fish flapping on the ground, others still on the empty tank. 30 computers on water.

We started to pick up the fish and put them in a styrofoam box. 3 people counted 23 so we all stopped searching. They all were wrong by one. I found the adult Baenchi benga behind a bookcase much later.

Meanwhile they are inside two 50 liters stirofoam boxes with the two filters. Nitrites still completely out of hand. I'm making 70% water changes at least 3 times a day to keep them at least around 1.5. Some of the fish have been dying.

:( That's horrible. Very sorry to hear it Ardeus. Do you have access to carbon? You could drop a bag or two with carbon into the containers to help out the water some.

I already placed some carbon in one of the filters. I also placed a product I found which is said to lower nitrites among other things. I don't put much faith in it though. I'll just continue with the 3-4 water changes per day and tomorrow I will try to move them to bigger containers.

Thanks.

Well, the tank is running again :) I even have fry now.

dscf0001a8wp.jpg

As you can see, when the plasma screen is off, you can't notice it because I placed a black background at each side.

I'm trying to implement a new project and it's even weirder than this... just wait a while ;)

Newest layout is sweet. Can you take a pic of the tank with your rendered fish? Very nice plant choices. Is that Anubias nana petite? Thanks

Yes, czcz, it's Anubias nana petite, cause they're in front of the plasma. And I'm hoping for the Java fern on the left to fill that side and cover most of the rock.

I have fry since a couple of days ago and they are inside a large net in a box shape in front of the Plasma so I can't use it for a while. And the fish don't like the plasma at all too, unfortunatly.

You see, I spend most of my awake time in front of them... I get attached to them + They don't like the plasma = I don't turn the plasma on :)

I only turn it on when someone that is interested in having something like it comes around. When I do that, they completely avoid the middle of the tank. If I followed my initial plan of making them used to the images, I'm sure that after some time they would get used to it. The younger fish even try to catch the mouse pointer, hehehe.

It worked great in the first times at the museum because they were too distracted by the people around them and didn't pay any attention to the plasma. Now they're at home.

I don't want to use this tank again for exhibitions. I have another exhibition scheduled for April and I'm not going to use this tank: I'm going to rent another. And this new presentation of the tank is going to be even weirder, lol

Can you imagine a finely detailed miniature home kitchen (real) with sink, stove, fridge, curtains, tables, plates, etc in the middle of the tank surrounded by plants? The virtual film will show industrial kitchen projects... everything to please the customer.

Back
Top Bottom