Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Real World Total Costs?

ok everyone, many of you have seen my build thread and noted my accumulating costs as I have gone along. I haven't finished my canopy but I have already purchased wood and paint which is included in that thread. I'm over $800 now ($60ish in stock with plants) and I keep seeing people saying this and that was $12 or these parts were $4. I look back at my purchases and a few things could have been done differently to maybe reduce it by $100 or so BUT.... seriously....

What was YOUR TOTAL build cost on your DIY setup?

I'd like to know some ballparks on what your setup ended up costing you to get everything done. Buying a tank, building the stand, filtration, substrate, decor of whatever kind and some stock.

I thought I did pretty good considering that I made the stand and canopy, got the tank on CL, built a wet/dry, used pool filter sand and used free rocks. A wet/dry with media would have been $150+, a nice stand and canopy would have been $300+, rocks could have been $50+, T5 lights and extra bulbs around $100+ and my cichlids could have been over $100 at the LFS. I feel like I did a decent job on the build considering. I'm just wondering if everyone elses this and that has added up to a good amount over some time.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
I am right there with you. Not including coral or fish (which I've already spent about 500$ on).

I'm working on finishing my canopy and platform for my already completed stand. Total cost for materials on that has been about 150$.

Luckily my tank I bought on craigslist for $225 and it included the power heads and sand and rock, pumps, bio balls, refugium, lights, etc.

However, I have already ordered 700$ in LED lights and 200$ on a protein skimmer.

After all that- my wishlist got Gish and coral so my tank doesn't look empty will come out to about 1500$. Plus all the costs of food, chemicals, etc.

My wallet is already dusty and savings is gonna match it soon. Lol

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
That's cool. I didn't ever really have a budget, and I'm not complaining but I was curious as I reach the $1k mark. I was just curious if people were getting everything done for like $400 or something lol. My tank with a ton of food and chemicals etc was only $100. I probably could have gotten the other stuff with a tank if I had waited longer but I think it would have evened out over time.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The funny thing is i have an excel spreadsheet file where i tracked everything i have purchased for my tank over the past 8 months. Luckily the tank/ stand i did not have to purchase since i already owned it from years ago. But since i started 8 months ago i have spent $376 on livestock and $452 on equipment. But my next tank will definately be more efficient and cheaper since i know what i am doing ( relatively speaking ofcourse lol)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a 75gal freshwater tank and in just the set up i have about $850 in it thats a lil over what the est. was of $10 per gal. but i spent $350 on a custom build oak stand that that i found on cl that matches the trim in our house. i was able to get the tank for $25 and the fluval 405 for another $25. my t5 lighing was only $10 the rocks i got from my girlfreinds creek and the rest i had to buy new. all in all i could have saved it i built a stand but im no carpnter lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com