Rebecca's 55 Gallon Aquarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could try a little pump on a timer? Just run a small tube from there back to the main tank or to a bucket.

There was a video on YouTube about a DIY ato and had it set up to return to his sump in the basement, josh was the guys name, might try and find it for an idea, sorry on phone or I'd post the link

KevinM said:
You could try a little pump on a timer? Just run a small tube from there back to the main tank or to a bucket.

A Tom's Aqualifter would be good for this.

Conceptually I'm having trouble seeing what you are defining as the bottom layer vs. the pool. If you're just setting up a substrate area, a simple airline placed inside a larger piece of hose will create a nice siphon that can be used to drain off excess water. Just make sure that both pieces of hose are not actually on the bottom of the tank, as this will prevent the siphon from working, and the hose has to go over the top of the tank and then down so the end sits below the bottom of the tank. Otherwise it will not siphon.

Just happened to have a 55 gallon tank and a bag of Quikrete layin' 'round??? A woman after my own heart, methinks, LOL. My wife could learn a thing or two from ya!

Lookin' good.

Gotta go to work, so no time to elaborate at the moment, but instead of usin' a sheet of plexiglass for the false bottom, might I suggest a layer of light expanded clay aggregate (LECA) with a layer of fiberglass mesh over that, then cover the mesh with your substrate. I've used both ZooMed Hydroballs and the Hydroton brand of LECA, and prefer the former, personally. The LECA allows drainage but has the distinct advantage of allowing ya to still mold the terrain to yer likin'. If I'm picturin' what ya wanna do correctly, that might be an option to look at and ya wouldn't hafta worry 'bout supportin' the plexiglass sheet.

WYite

Mumma.of.two said:
How did I miss this thread?! Looks great!

Why thank you!

Wy Renegade said:
Conceptually I'm having trouble seeing what you are defining as the bottom layer vs. the pool. If you're just setting up a substrate area, a simple airline placed inside a larger piece of hose will create a nice siphon that can be used to drain off excess water. Just make sure that both pieces of hose are not actually on the bottom of the tank, as this will prevent the siphon from working, and the hose has to go over the top of the tank and then down so the end sits below the bottom of the tank. Otherwise it will not siphon.

It will have a substrate area, I was hoping that I could somehow drill a small hole in the tank to run a hose into for drainage that way it could hide any airline tubing.

I will be starting the build up again tomorrow, hopefully.
I need to quit being lazy and finish the waterfall. My next little project will be to build a top for it. I was going to buy a screen top but I can build one for a fraction of the cost of a new one. After that the lights will be my next adventure.

It will have a substrate area, I was hoping that I could somehow drill a small hole in the tank to run a hose into for drainage that way it could hide any airline tubing.

I will be starting the build up again tomorrow, hopefully.
I need to quit being lazy and finish the waterfall. My next little project will be to build a top for it. I was going to buy a screen top but I can build one for a fraction of the cost of a new one. After that the lights will be my next adventure.

You'll need to check on the type of glass used for the bottom pane. Many aquariums use tempered glass in the bottom, which means it cannot be drilled without shattering. Building the top is definitely cheaper to do and that way you can customize it for any openings you may need as well.

I agree with WYlite, using a clay aggregate is the norm when it comes to most vivariums. It is the best way to make a false bottom, from everything I have read over the years. Just seems easier than trying to hide pumps and tubing, or drilling out the bottom

Well today I hooked a light above the tank and tried for the third time now to get the waterfall working but it's still leaking from somewhere. So I have to drain it once again and try to figure out where it's leaking from. But that will have to wait until tomorrow because I am beyond annoyed with it tonight.

Maybe putting some food coloring into the water will help you see exactly where the water is going? Not sure if it would work or not, just a though

Well today I hooked a light above the tank and tried for the third time now to get the waterfall working but it's still leaking from somewhere. So I have to drain it once again and try to figure out where it's leaking from. But that will have to wait until tomorrow because I am beyond annoyed with it tonight.

Finding all those little buggers and getting a good seal on them can be the most annoying thing. Good luck with your continued seek and destroy.

Sadly after six failed attempts the waterfall is still leaking and I cannot figure out from where so after becoming majorly frustrated with it, I sealed the tank up and am turning it into an aquarium. I'm so sorry guys! I was so excited for a vivarium but I don't want to mess with it anymore.
Everything from the 29G is going into the 55G and maybe I'll turn the 29 into saltwater.
Thank you to everyone who was following my thread and for all of the wonderful comments.
At least I tried my hand at it so instead of a vivarium I'll have an aquarium with an awesome 3D background.
I'll post a picture after everything is moved over.

butterfly_koi said:
Well it's holding water nicely :) I was kind of worried about that. Here are some pictures
Sorry for the bad quality

That looks really cool! I like it with the 3D background a lot

Thanks Sky!
I was really disappointed that I couldn't make it into the vivarium but it still looks cool, I started using the empty 29G for plants but threw in three Red Paradise Fish today.

Sorry to hear it ended that way, but as you said you'll have a tank with an awesome background.

Well tragedy struck in my household aqua wise, I started losing a few fish. First it was a guppy, my platy met the bad end of a catfish barb, then it was one of my cories. After much deliberation I decided to break the tank down, fish out, plants out, background gone, everything. Turns out the few pieces of driftwood that I had in the background were red cedar, the wood had soaked up water and the styrofoam behind it did as well. Oh well I guess, live and learn. Not bad for my first background but I've got to say it was fun taking a hammer to the concrete :)
Now I just have to think of my next project with my now completely empty 55 gallon.

That is a bummer! How hard was the background to get out? Personally I've seen people say not to use the red cedar, but I have in the past without any ill effects - once again having a truly dry/dead piece that has weathered a good bit may be the issue.

Back
Top Bottom